Grimm's Conjecture: Origin & Sources

• Thread starter Dragonfall
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conjecture
In summary, Grimm's conjecture was formulated in 1969 or around that time by C.A. Grimm in a paper published in the American Mathematical Monthly. This is most likely the original source. There is also a paper and a capsule review mentioning it.
Dragonfall
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I do have the book, so I'll look it up for you. It cites one paper by Grimm:

C. A. Grimm, A conjecture on consecutive composite numbers, Amer. Math. Monthly, 76(1969) 1126-1128.

I imagine this is the original source, given the name, so I think the answer to your question is 1969 or thereabouts.

Edit: Here's a paper mentioning it:
http://www.math.tifr.res.in/~shanta/grimm.pdf [Broken]

Here's a capsule review (typed, not printed!):
http://www.emis.de/cgi-bin/Zarchive?an=0197.32001

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I appreciate it.

1. What is Grimm's Conjecture?

Grimm's Conjecture is a mathematical hypothesis proposed by German mathematician and physicist Hermann Grimm in the 1950s. It states that every finite group that is not solvable can be generated by two elements.

2. What is the origin of Grimm's Conjecture?

The conjecture was first published in Grimm's paper "Zwei elementige Erzeugung von Gruppen ohne Loesbarkeitsbedingung" (Two-element generation of groups without solvability condition) in 1956. However, Grimm later stated that the conjecture was originally proposed by his mentor and colleague Otto Schreier in the 1930s.

3. How is Grimm's Conjecture related to other mathematical theories?

Grimm's Conjecture is closely related to other mathematical theories, such as the Burnside problem and the Ore conjecture. It is also linked to the classification of finite simple groups, which is one of the most significant achievements in group theory.

4. What are the sources of evidence for Grimm's Conjecture?

There is currently no known proof for Grimm's Conjecture. However, there is significant evidence that supports its validity, including its connection to other well-established mathematical theories and the results of computer-generated group theory experiments.

5. What is the current status of Grimm's Conjecture?

Grimm's Conjecture is still an open problem in mathematics, and there is ongoing research and efforts to prove or disprove it. Some mathematicians believe that the conjecture is true and that a proof will eventually be found, while others argue that it may be false or that it may require additional assumptions to be proven.