Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grinding fibre to powder

1. Jan 17, 2006 #1
    I have bought a few wasabi plants recently, I have been trying to grind some of the stem of the wasabi into paste (as shown in the supermarket), the trouble I am having is gridingthe fibre down.

First thing I tried is using a blender, it works fine on most part, but I just can't grind the fibre properly. I have looked through a lot of websites, all the grinder online are only good for grinding dry plants.

Are there anyways of grinding down the fibre to some kind of miniscule particle or powder?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2006 #2
    I would first check into how the Japanese prepare it. It could be that they separate the fiber from the rest somehow rather than grind the fiber down.

4. Jan 17, 2006 #3
    I thought it would be grated with a really fine grater, then you could make it smoother with a morter.

5. Jan 17, 2006 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Yes, you grate it just like horseradish.

6. Jan 17, 2006 #5

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

Supposedly this site describes the way the Japanese do it (scroll down, you'll find it). The sharkskin grater sounds like a bit of overkill, unless you're looking to go truly authentic and you don't mind dropping the cash for one and you have no reservations about using a shark-derived product. Try one of these ceramic graters for things like wasabi, ginger, galangal and other fibrous rhizomes, roots, etc. Look for one with conical teeth rather than pyramidal, it makes a better endproduct. You are going to end up with some fibers remaining on the rhizome, that's fine, you want the juices and less woody parts anyway.

7. Jan 17, 2006 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

:surprised What would Alton Brown say? :grumpy:

8. Jan 17, 2006 #7

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Alton would tell you to use a coffee grinder. Much higher speed and finer chopping blades.

That's what he uses for all of his bulk spices and herbs...not that I watch that show a lot...

9. Jan 17, 2006 #8

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

Hah! Good one. However one of Alton's big things is not having anything in his kitchen that is not a multi-tasker (except his fire extinguisher, and he would probably use that as a rolling pin in a pinch). That sharkskin grater seems pretty uni-tasked to me....:biggrin:
    True, he uses those a lot, and I have several myself, but they are used for dried herbs and spices, nothing wet like fresh ginger or wasabi.

10. Jan 17, 2006 #9

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I bet mine would work. It can grind small rocks. A little wet noodle thing would be no match for it.

11. Jan 17, 2006 #10
    what do you make out of small rocks? smaller rocks?

12. Jan 18, 2006 #11
    Wow, thanks guys, didn't expect that many reply:!!) :!!)

So, you guys are saying the sharkskin grater could grind the fibre of the stem of the wasabi?

13. Jan 18, 2006 #12

Mk

Yes, but it looks like you should try a coffee grinder first, unless you're a professional sushi chef.

14. Jan 18, 2006 #13

Mk

lol, good one.
    Exactly right, a coffee grinder. Funny how you... hey who said use his fire extinguisher in a pinch? I thought that was funnier than Evo's comment.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?