Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grisha got it!

1. Aug 22, 2006 #1

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

Grigori Perelman was awarded the Fields
    the other three Fields winners are Tao, Okounkov, Werner

http://icm2006.org/v_f/web_fr.php?PagIni=1pl

looks like he will not be giving an acceptance talk, only three of those.
    but his is the second Laudation talk

==============
    when you go to the official ICM 2006 site, at that link, click on "prizes" in
    the lefthand sidebar menu

you will see that there are 4 "Laudatio" talks for the 4 Fields winners
    Perelman, Tao, Werner, and Okounkov

this I take to be a clear indication that one of the four medals has been awarded to Grigori Perelman
    anybody have some other explanation?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2006 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

I believe he actually declined the medal.

4. Aug 22, 2006 #3

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

apparently at one point he DID decline the medal
    and as of last week it looked like he at least would decline to go to Madrid to accept it

but why do you think NOW that he is not getting the Fields?
    do you have any recent news to tell us?

====EDIT====

WOW it looks like you are right!
    Neutrino points me here:
    http://rawstory.com/news/2006/2ND_Russian_becomes_first_to_reject_08222006.html

I thought he had not finally rejected but had changed his mind and would accept.

5. Aug 22, 2006 #4

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

Look at this press release
    http://www.icm2006.org/press/releases/

http://www.icm2006.org/dailynews/fields_perelman_info_en.pdf

===quote===
    INFORMATION EMBARGOED UNTIL TUESDAY AUGUST 22ND, 12:00 AM, CENTRAL EUROPEAN TIME) Fields Medal Grigory Perelman CITATION: "For his contributions to geometry and his revolutionary insights into the analytical and geometric structure of the Ricci flow" The name of Grigory Perelman is practically a household word among the scientifically interested public. His work from 2002-2003 brought groundbreaking insights into the study of evolution equations and their singularities. Most significantly, his results provide a way of resolving two outstanding problems in topology: the Poincare Conjecture and the Thurston Geometrization Conjecture. As of the summer of 2006, the mathematical community is still in the process of checking his work to ensure that it is entirely correct and that the conjectures have been proved. After more than three years of intense scrutiny, top experts have encountered no serious problems in the work. For decades the Poincaré Conjecture has been considered one of the most important problems in mathematics. ...
    ===endquote===

6. Aug 22, 2006 #5
  7. Aug 22, 2006 #6

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

8. Aug 22, 2006 #7
    "In 1996, Perelman refused a prize from the European Mathematics Society on the grounds that the jury was not qualified to judge his work."

Hehe, that may actually be true.

9. Aug 22, 2006 #8
    Now, all that's left are a book by Akiva Goldsman and a movie by Ron Howard. I will definitely want both to be titled Grisha. :biggrin: No, wait, those can't be of the slightest public interest. :tongue:

10. Aug 22, 2006 #9

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

After all the Grisha fuss, did you check out the talk by Terence Tao? Fascinating! Although the primes are such a scrawny subset of the integers, yet they contain arbitrarily long arithmetic sequences (i.e you start on a prime somewhere and add a constant and keep adding, and all the numbers you hit up to some end point are primes. And the distance to the end point can be chosen as big as you like. As Tao says, it shows us how order and randomness nestle together!

11. Aug 22, 2006 #10

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

one of my friends and colleagues, valery alexeev, is an invited speaker in madrid, and he is emailing us news as it happens.

12. Aug 22, 2006 #11

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

i want to specifically advertise the talk by my friend valery tomorrow, in the complex algebraic geometry session. his work is extremely interesting too, on classification of abelian varieties, and moduli of "stable pairs".

valery has completed the program of compactifying moduli spaces of abelian varieties, begun by riemann and continued by many, including mumford, mori, namikawa, baily, borel, etc..\

his most recent work suggests a higher dimensional analog of the work of mayer, mumford, deligne, kontsevich, oncompactifying curves by "stable curves", which led to quantum cohomology and the work of witten. (We heard a preview last week of valery's talk scheduled for tomorrow.)

13. Aug 22, 2006 #12

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

neutrino, maybe it would sell better if it were titled "take this prize and shove it", with a country western theme.

14. Aug 23, 2006 #13
    Am I the only one more interested in Tao's achievement than Perelman's?

15. Aug 23, 2006 #14

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

selfAdjoint beat to to it; see post #9 in this thread.

16. Aug 23, 2006 #15

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

17. Aug 23, 2006 #16

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

the story in the New Yorker is now available

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/articles/060828fa_fact2

it is written by Sylvia Nasar, the author of "A Beautiful Mind" about the mathematician Nash.

she was already in St Petersburg in June this year, researching it, and she is a good writer, so it might be interesting and different

18. Aug 23, 2006 #17
    ha ha...I just realised my mistake in my last post. I actually meant Sylvia Nasar, and not Akiva Goldsman.

19. Aug 23, 2006 #18

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

thats very impressive, but not to me as impressive as the poincare conjecture, or its solution.

20. Aug 28, 2006 #19

gvk

I want to understand why 3D case is totaly different from 1D-2D and nD,
    n > 3 for which analoques of Poincare conjecture were proof a long time ago. Why the dimention 3D is really matter?

21. Aug 28, 2006 #20
    That question's been nagging my mind, too. I'm don't know about gvk, but I'm a complete outsider to pure maths. So all you math-types, keep your explanations simple. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?