Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gross-Pitaevskii Equation

1. Jul 31, 2005 #1
    I'm trying to find some basic information on it, preferrably without dropping money on another $100+ textbook. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've been told that Pethick and Smith's book on BECs in Dilute Gases has s good treatment of Gross-Pitaevskii. There are a bunch of better references I can get in a day or two.

PS : And while that is likely a $100 + book, I'm sure you'll find a copy at your library.

PPS : Actually, the book seems to be pretty hard to come by, but if you can get your hands on it, get it - especially if you plan to work with BECs.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2005
  4. Aug 1, 2005 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The following review article is an absolute "must read" :

"Theory of Bose-Einstein condensation in trapped gases", F. Dalfovo, S. Giorgini, L. Pitaevskii, S. Stringari, Rev. Mod. Phys., 71, 463-512 (1999)

5. Aug 2, 2005 #4

Hans de Vries

Science Advisor

On line: "Theory of Bose-Einstein condensation in trapped gases"
    http://pi1.physi.uni-heidelberg.de/...ung/BEC02/Literatur/BECtheory-RMP71(1999).pdf

like this one: "Making, probing and understanding Bose-Einstein condensates"
    http://cua.mit.edu/ketterle_group/Projects_1999/Pubs_99/kett99varenna.pdf

Regards, Hans.

6. Aug 2, 2005 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I haven't looked into these yet, but I was also recommended Gould and Tobochnik's online notes on stat mech.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?