Grotrian diagram of Hydrogen

In summary, the Grotrian diagram of Hydrogen is a visual representation of the energy levels and transitions of an atom's electrons. It is composed of horizontal lines representing energy levels and vertical lines representing transitions between them. The diagram can be used to predict the spectra of Hydrogen and understand the behavior of its electrons in different states. It also serves as a valuable tool in understanding the energy and frequency of emitted or absorbed photons during atomic transitions.
QuarkDecay
Why is it that in Grotrian diagram only the 4p->3s is not allowed, but the 4s->3p, 4p-> 3d and 4d-> 3p are allowed ? I'm following the rules of Δl=±1 and Δm=0,±1 and they give the same numbers. I also tried with Δj=0,±1 and still the same.

Grotrian Diagram for Hydrogen for n=[1,4];
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Grotrian_H.svg#/media/File:Grotrian_H.svg

Physics news on Phys.org
The diagram is in error. The 4p->3s is allowed and should be present.

Likes Lord Jestocost
Both my physics books and the ones I've seen on the internet have it like this though

1. What is a Grotrian diagram of Hydrogen?

A Grotrian diagram of Hydrogen is a graphical representation of the energy levels and transitions of the Hydrogen atom. It shows the possible electron transitions between energy levels and the corresponding wavelengths of emitted or absorbed radiation.

2. Who created the Grotrian diagram of Hydrogen?

The Grotrian diagram of Hydrogen was created by German physicist Walter Grotrian in 1928. He used the concepts of quantum mechanics to develop this diagram and explain the spectral lines of Hydrogen.

3. How is a Grotrian diagram of Hydrogen useful?

A Grotrian diagram of Hydrogen is useful for understanding the energy levels and transitions of the Hydrogen atom. It is also used to interpret the spectral lines of Hydrogen and to identify the elements present in a star or other astronomical object.

4. What do the vertical lines represent in a Grotrian diagram of Hydrogen?

The vertical lines in a Grotrian diagram of Hydrogen represent the energy levels of the Hydrogen atom. The higher the energy level, the further away the line is from the bottom of the diagram.

5. How are the horizontal lines connected in a Grotrian diagram of Hydrogen?

The horizontal lines in a Grotrian diagram of Hydrogen represent the possible transitions between energy levels. They are connected based on the energy difference between the two levels, with the longer lines indicating lower energy transitions and the shorter lines representing higher energy transitions.