Is Grounding a Necessary Safety Measure for Electronic Power Supplies?

• Thread starter LordVader88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ground
In summary, the conversation discusses the safety and potential consequences of not properly grounding a power supply. It is recommended to ground metal parts for safety reasons, as it can prevent electric shock in case of a breakdown. Proper grounding is also likely required by local safety laws.
LordVader88
I have a nice and neat little PSU with a fuse from a DVD player, it outputs +/-12, gnd and +/-5 so 24 , 17 and 7 as well.

The PCB had a 2 prong AC plug, probably with one bigger than the other. And on the PCB there is a place where a 3rd ground prong would be screwed on like on my printers PSU , and it is copper traced to several things.

I soldered on a 3 prong cable/plug but never hooked up the ground prong, what would happen if I did?

Would it be bad or good? I've done high school physics and 1st year university physics, so there's a mountain I still need to learn now that I'm back into electronics.

Is it that 1 of the 2 prongs acts as ground, so don't hook up the 3rd prong, its already safe enough to use (I was using it in a flashlight, but now I have a LAMP hung from the ceiling!, so I can use it for a bench PSU again)

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
If the power supply and whatever it is powering are enclosed in a plastic box, then it doesn't matter if you ground the metal parts of the circuit for safety reasons, although it may be worth doing for other reasons, like noise pickup or radiation.

If there are metal parts that can be touched, it would be safer to ground these. This is so that in the unlikely chance that something breaks down and these metal parts become live, then current will flow to ground via the ground wire and blow a fuze before you touch it and get killed.

It is good insurance to use proper grounding and local safety laws probably demand it.

1. What is "Ground not used" on a DVD PSU?

"Ground not used" refers to a grounding pin or wire that is not connected to any components or circuits within a DVD power supply unit (PSU).

2. Is it safe to use a DVD PSU with "Ground not used"?

In most cases, it is safe to use a DVD PSU with "Ground not used". This is because the other grounding pins and wires within the PSU are still connected and functioning properly.

3. Why is "Ground not used" present on some DVD PSUs?

Some DVD PSUs may have "Ground not used" because they were designed for use in different regions or countries with different electrical standards. In some cases, it may also be due to a design or manufacturing error.

4. Can "Ground not used" affect the performance of a DVD PSU?

In general, "Ground not used" should not significantly affect the performance of a DVD PSU. However, it is always best to use a PSU with all grounding pins and wires properly connected for optimal safety and functionality.

5. How can I fix or address "Ground not used" on a DVD PSU?

If you are experiencing issues with your DVD PSU due to "Ground not used", it is recommended to consult a professional technician for assistance. They may be able to properly connect the grounding pin or wire to ensure safe and proper operation of the PSU.