Dealing with Annoying Base Heads: A Spud-tacular Solution

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Base
In summary, the solution to the noise issue around here comes from xkcd. A spud will be carried with the person to put into the exhaust of any noise maker.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Base heads, or zombies with £5000 worth of mega watt audio in their cars, from now on i am going to carry a spud with me, and it is going right up the next ones exhaust, and i am not joking, they are talking about them on the radio now but they are only going half way in describing how annoying these base heads are.

Physics news on Phys.org
mgb_phys said:
The solution, as ever, comes form xkcd http://xkcd.org/368/

LMAO.

mgb_phys said:
The solution, as ever, comes form xkcd http://xkcd.org/368/

:rofl:

I'm not sure which is worse around here, the thumpers, the kids driving pick-up trucks with noisy mufflers, or the motorcycles (talk about vehicles I want to put a potato in the exhaust of...the new neighbor either owns a motorcycle, or has a friend with a motorcycle, and leaves it idling out in the driveway at about 7:30 in the morning...it's disturbing with the window shut, and even worse with the window open...makes me want to push it down the mountain so I can sleep past 7:30!) Why does anyone need to leave a motorcycle idling in the driveway? :grumpy: Now I know why there are townhouse complexes that prohibit motorcycles.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yeah, I noticed that motorcycles pass all noise bylaws. It makes no sense. In Old Quebec City, scooters are now banned because of the noise. If you ever heard a scooter, you'll realize that it's not very loud at all. Cars are louder, nevermind motorcylces!

Moonbear said:

I'm not sure which is worse around here, the thumpers, the kids driving pick-up trucks with noisy mufflers, or the motorcycles (talk about vehicles I want to put a potato in the exhaust of...the new neighbor either owns a motorcycle, or has a friend with a motorcycle, and leaves it idling out in the driveway at about 7:30 in the morning...it's disturbing with the window shut, and even worse with the window open...makes me want to push it down the mountain so I can sleep past 7:30!) Why does anyone need to leave a motorcycle idling in the driveway? :grumpy: Now I know why there are townhouse complexes that prohibit motorcycles.

Bad motorcyclist waking MoonB up, I would push mine away from MoonBs house before i started it, i would not want to end up in some chemical mix on a lab shelf.

wolram said:
i am going to carry a spud with me, and it is going right up the next ones exhaust

Put it up the driver's exhaust, not the car's. It'll have more impact. :devil:

JasonRox said:
Yeah, I noticed that motorcycles pass all noise bylaws. It makes no sense. In Old Quebec City, scooters are now banned because of the noise. If you ever heard a scooter, you'll realize that it's not very loud at all. Cars are louder, nevermind motorcylces!

Now stop hijacking the thread, there is a world of difference between a sweet sounding motorcycle and ground pounders.

wolram said:
Now stop hijacking the thread, there is a world of difference between a sweet sounding motorcycle and ground pounders.

Not at 7:30 in the morning there isn't. :grumpy:

It's one of those frustrating things...just when the weather gets nice enough for me to open the windows for some fresh air, the weather also gets nice enough for all the motorcyclists to start going on their joyrides. The planes heading into land at our local airport are quieter than the motorcycles (well, except the one landing two nights ago...it sounded like a helicopter choking on a motorcycle...I'm guessing that one needed some engine repairs).

wolram said:

Ground pounders are cool because you can blast them in the drive-thru of a restaurant. I'm sure they'll have a blast making a sandwich when the building is shaking!

Moonbear said:
Not at 7:30 in the morning there isn't. :grumpy:

It's one of those frustrating things...just when the weather gets nice enough for me to open the windows for some fresh air, the weather also gets nice enough for all the motorcyclists to start going on their joyrides. The planes heading into land at our local airport are quieter than the motorcycles (well, except the one landing two nights ago...it sounded like a helicopter choking on a motorcycle...I'm guessing that one needed some engine repairs).

Moan, moan, us motorcyclist need some joy, there is a world of difference to these to ground pounders, they want to ruin your day.

I think Moonbear is talking about those supped up Harleys that sound like a loud flatulating explosion :yuck: My brother-in-laws BMW bikes sound smooth and aren't that loud. To their credit the Harleys aren't that loud either unless you put a non stock exhaust on them. I have jackasses like that going up the street at 10:30 at night and early in the morning that think 900 dB of blap,blap,blap is something everyone wants to hear.
Same thing with these base heads. 11:15 at night from 3 blocks away I can hear these cars coming with my windows closed. By the time they get near my house the whole place is vibrating and I s*#@ you not pictures and Knick-knacks on the wall are vibrating and tinkling. God I hate those people, no damned respect for anyone around them...
I'd like to take a potato and plant it right upside their mush!

Francis M said:
I think Moonbear is talking about those supped up Harleys that sound like a loud flatulating explosion :yuck: My brother-in-laws BMW bikes sound smooth and aren't that loud. To their credit the Harleys aren't that loud either unless you put a non stock exhaust on them. I have jackasses like that going up the street at 10:30 at night and early in the morning that think 900 dB of blap,blap,blap is something everyone wants to hear.
Same thing with these base heads. 11:15 at night from 3 blocks away I can hear these cars coming with my windows closed. By the time they get near my house the whole place is vibrating and I s*#@ you not pictures and Knick-knacks on the wall are vibrating and tinkling. God I hate those people, no damned respect for anyone around them...
I'd like to take a potato and plant it right upside their mush!

I think it's worse where I am. I live off a winding country road that is close enough to town that it seems to be a favorite of the motorcyclists...and the joyriding thumping kids too. There are nights when I just WISH the price of gas would go up to $10/gallon so they would limit their time on the road to just getting back and forth to work.

Yeah, not ALL motorcycles have to be that loud...one of the other neighbors has motorcycles and I hardly even notice them coming and going...but it seems most around here make them extra loud on purpose (probably doesn't help that there's a Harley shop in town either).

At least with the motorcycles, I understand the need to be a bit loud...otherwise they'd get run off the road by the SUVs who can't see them (you just have to hope they hear them). But with those thumping cars...grrrr! I can't wait until they've all ruptured their eardrums and gone deaf (then I want to play some super-high-pitch annoying tone that only their hearing aids pick up :devil:).

I have a Harley with an aftermarket exhaust system, but it's baffled to the point where it's hardly any louder than a stock exhaust unless you really crank on it. There are people with pickup trucks on this road that are louder than my bike.

When we lived in our previous house, there was a young lady living down the street that attracted those idiots with the $2000 cars with $4000 stereos in them with subwoofers that would shake the windows. It seems like they only played "music" that was percussion and bass - I was glad when she graduated and left her parents' place. You could hear those idiots coming over 3 blocks away. As a musician, I treasure my hearing (and can hear that annoying "mosquito" ring-tone at age 56!) and I had to shake my head every time one of these idiots rolled into the neighborhood.

Moonbear said:

Because you need to let the fluids in the motorcycle warm up to temperature before you go driving off, the same goes for your car.

Its loud because it needs to be. Cars can hear it and know its there. The horn on a bike is a joke.

Cyrus said:
Because you need to let the fluids in the motorcycle warm up to temperature before you go driving off, the same goes for your car.
The reason for the warm-up is a bit more complicated than that, at least for Harleys. The aluminum jugs are quite long and they expand quite a bit during warm-up. Until they are warm enough to not be able to comfortably touch them, it's a good idea not to drive off. If you start up a Harley (especially one with an older Evo engine) and just take off (especially if you're getting on the throttle) you are at risk of blowing out the bottom end (jug-to-block) gaskets or head gaskets. They are cheap parts, but paying some H-D mechanic $80/hr to tear the machine down to replace them runs into some real serious money. Allowing the jugs to heat up physically compresses the gaskets and reduces the chance of blowing them - especially important in cool/cold weather.

I have an idiot kid a couple of houses away who has a rice rocket and when he starts it, he revs the hell out of it to make lots of noise before he takes off at high speed. His mechanical aptitude is about zero. Apparently he is unaware of the inconvenient little fact that when you start an engine with such tight tolerances, you should wait until the engine can build oil pressure and lubricate the valve train and other sensitive spots before flogging it.

Last edited:
One has to love them Hardly Davidsons, their engines must grow by 1/2 inch when warmed up, with jugs that big it is a wonder their bottoms do not blow more often.
My little velo can be noisy if i give her some stick, i imagine MoonB would get quite irate if i went through the box while passing her mansion.

wolram said:
One has to love them Hardly Davidsons, their engines must grow by 1/2 inch when warmed up, with jugs that big it is a wonder their bottoms do not blow more often.
Yeah, the Evo engines (1340 cc) have the same bore and stroke as a Chevy 327 V8, and the Twin-Cams are even larger. All that aluminum has to stretch when it gets hot. The oil gets to the valve train and pumps up the hydraulic lifters shortly after start-up, but you should let the jugs heat up before driving off, and that takes a bit of time.

I hate the "ground pounders" to. Usually a honda civic with a coffee can sized exhaust and a stereo worth 3x more than the pos car its been put in. Oh and usually a spoiler that is ridiculously large to. Wouldn't be so bad if they would drive by and then leave but because they have little else better to do they just spend a few hours circling the block :P

I have to laugh at the bike thing though. I am a Harley fan so I am more than happy to listen to them go by but I find that the people that do the most complaining about those noisy darn bikes are the ones out there mowing their lawn at 6 am and running their weedwackers, chainsaws, and whatnot all day.

scorpa said:
I have to laugh at the bike thing though. I am a Harley fan so I am more than happy to listen to them go by but I find that the people that do the most complaining about those noisy darn bikes are the ones out there mowing their lawn at 6 am and running their weedwackers, chainsaws, and whatnot all day.
My wood-splitter (5.5 hp Honda) and my chainsaw (63 cc Husky) are both much louder than my Softail, and when I'm cruising down the highway, I can hear the noise of the tires on the pavement over the exhaust-note. And that's with lightly-baffled Samson pipes.

There are people who subscribe to the "loud pipes save lives" philosophy, but I'm someone who relies more on vigilance on my part, and being able to hear other vehicles is important to me.

scorpa said:
I hate the "ground pounders" to. Usually a honda civic with a coffee can sized exhaust and a stereo worth 3x more than the pos car its been put in. Oh and usually a spoiler that is ridiculously large to. Wouldn't be so bad if they would drive by and then leave but because they have little else better to do they just spend a few hours circling the block :P

LOL, the Sunday morning grass cutters, chucked out of bed by bored wives.

wolram said:
Base

Bass.

Poop-Loops said:
Bass.
I thought that was a fish?

It is.

Cyrus said:

Its loud because it needs to be. Cars can hear it and know its there. The horn on a bike is a joke.

Then maybe they should be banned from residential areas if they can't be made quiet. Or don't run it before noon or after 8 PM...nobody needs to be woken up by such racket.

Poop-Loops said:
It is.

The cunning fish, turn all us humans deaf and then invade.

scorpa said:

Nope, I think there should be time limits on running lawn mowers and such too! During the afternoon I don't mind hearing those things...I'm awake and running around doing stuff too, as are most people. People should at least be able to sleep in until 10 on weekends (8 on weekdays is reasonable), and should be able to expect peace and quiet by evening too...once 7 or 8 PM rolls around and people should be trying to get small children to bed, or relaxing and enjoying a quiet evening home, the noisy things should be put away). Of course, if you live on 30 acres of land, do whatever you want since there are no neighbors to hear. Otherwise, respect your neighbors.

wolram said:
The cunning fish, turn all us humans deaf and then invade.
They are not smart, Woolie. You can catch them on rubber worms or popper lures with plastic hula-skirts. In fact they are so stupid and easy to fool that I find it amazing that southerners have generated a huge, profitable industry centered on bass tournaments.

You want a challenge? Try to catch a wild brook trout during a hex-hatch on any fly that doesn't resemble those fat, juicy drakes.

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
Nope, I think there should be time limits on running lawn mowers and such too! During the afternoon I don't mind hearing those things...I'm awake and running around doing stuff too, as are most people. People should at least be able to sleep in until 10 on weekends (8 on weekdays is reasonable), and should be able to expect peace and quiet by evening too...once 7 or 8 PM rolls around and people should be trying to get small children to bed, or relaxing and enjoying a quiet evening home, the noisy things should be put away). Of course, if you live on 30 acres of land, do whatever you want since there are no neighbors to hear. Otherwise, respect your neighbors.

I am in total agreement with you MoonB ,and i promise i will never go past you place before 10 on a week end.

<soapbox>http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/newsandupdates/motorcycle_noise_problem/index.html"</soapbox>

Last edited by a moderator:
About the potato, you'll just be using the exhaust as a slightly more complicated spudgun. It'll just shoot out and maybe hit something behind it.

Perhaps some expanding foam if they don't have a straight pipe exhaust...

Moonbear said:
Then maybe they should be banned from residential areas if they can't be made quiet. Or don't run it before noon or after 8 PM...nobody needs to be woken up by such racket.

Even if the bike is loud, it usually is pretty quiet when its idling. Its only if he's reving the throttle back and fourth that it would be loud.

The same goes for a ferrari. They are loud, but when they idle, they are very quiet. They just sit there humming softly. Its only when you floor it that it will rattle all the windows (litearlly).

My friends neighboor has a ferrari 430, and the neighbors complain when he drives home from parties late at night because the things so loud. To me, its up there with beethoven, or bach.

Vrrrmm Vrrm Vrrrm VROMMMMMMMMm. Vrrrrrm Vrrrm Vrrrm VRooooooooooommmmmmmmm.

1. What is "Dealing with Annoying Base Heads: A Spud-tacular Solution" about?

"Dealing with Annoying Base Heads: A Spud-tacular Solution" is a scientific study that explores methods for managing and mitigating the annoyance caused by base heads, or individuals who are overly focused on one particular topic or idea.

2. What inspired you to conduct this study?

This study was inspired by the prevalence of base heads in both scientific and non-scientific communities, and the need for effective strategies to deal with their behavior in a productive and respectful manner.

3. What are some common characteristics of base heads?

Base heads are typically highly passionate and enthusiastic about their chosen topic, often to the point of obsession. They may also have a tendency to dominate conversations and disregard others' opinions or perspectives.

4. What are some potential solutions for dealing with base heads?

Some potential solutions for dealing with base heads include setting clear boundaries and redirecting the conversation, actively listening and acknowledging their passion, and finding common ground to engage in a productive discussion.

5. How can the findings of this study be applied in real-life situations?

The findings of this study can be applied in various settings, such as workplace interactions, social gatherings, and online discussions. By understanding the behavior of base heads and implementing effective strategies, individuals can better manage and navigate these situations in a positive and respectful manner.