Ground questions on researching & postgrads

• Thread starter Ykjh98Hu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ground
In summary, the forum user has finished their undergraduate studies and is considering pursuing postgraduate studies. They have asked about the term "Q1 journals" and its relevance in admissions to US Ivy League universities. They have also inquired about the possibility of saving time in a US PhD program with a Masters from a Malaysian university. The advice given is to research specific programs and reach out to admissions offices for more information.
Ykjh98Hu
Hello guys,

It's a while I've hang around. Now that I've already finish undergrad, I would like to know about postgrads:

1. I've heard about publishing at Q1 journals (I assume quartile 1..). Is this an internationally 'adapted' term? So I've heard that Q1 papers will grant you better chance into Ivy league universities in US.. Is that true, and for that case, can you give me some example which are the Q1 journals? (I'm on quantum optics, btw)

2. I would like to apply to the US. However (assume) that I've received a Masters from Malaysia university, would it be possible that I will save up 2 years in the US's PHD degree? (generally, US would require 5 yr of minimum studies to get a PhD, and they are usually applied after candidate obtained a degree. However given that I have a masters, do I get stuff like shorter term, or a credit transfer?)

Thanks in advance for clearing my mind!

Physics news on Phys.org

Congratulations on finishing your undergraduate studies and considering pursuing postgraduate studies! I would like to provide some insights and advice on your questions.

1. The term "Q1 journals" refers to journals that are ranked in the top 25% in a specific field or category. This ranking is often determined by citation metrics such as the impact factor. While this term is not universally adapted, it is commonly used in the academic and scientific community. However, it is important to note that the ranking of journals can vary depending on the source and field of study. For quantum optics, some examples of Q1 journals could include Physical Review Letters, Optics Express, and Nature Photonics.

As for the claim that publishing in Q1 journals will grant you a better chance into Ivy League universities in the US, I would say that it can certainly be a positive factor in your application. However, it is not the only factor that universities consider. Your research experience, academic achievements, letters of recommendation, and personal statement also play important roles in the admissions process.

2. It is possible that having a Masters degree from a Malaysian university may save you some time in pursuing a PhD in the US. However, this would ultimately depend on the specific program and university you are applying to. Some universities may allow you to transfer credits from your Masters towards your PhD, while others may not. I would recommend reaching out to the universities you are interested in and inquiring about their policies on credit transfers for international students.

In general, I would advise you to thoroughly research the programs and universities you are interested in and reach out to their admissions offices for any specific questions or concerns. Good luck with your postgraduate studies!

1. What steps should I take when conducting research for my postgraduate studies?

There are several steps you should follow when conducting research for your postgraduate studies. First, identify your research question or topic and create a plan for your research. Then, gather relevant resources and literature to support your research. Next, analyze and evaluate the information you have collected. Finally, use this information to draw conclusions and make recommendations based on your research findings.

2. How can I ensure the validity and reliability of my research?

To ensure the validity and reliability of your research, be sure to use reputable and peer-reviewed sources. Additionally, use multiple sources to support your findings and avoid bias. You can also use statistical analysis and other methods to validate your research findings.

3. What are the key components of a postgraduate research proposal?

The key components of a postgraduate research proposal include an introduction to your research topic, a review of relevant literature, a statement of your research objectives and questions, a description of your research methods, and a timeline for completion. Additionally, you should include a section on the potential impact and significance of your research.

4. How do I choose the right research methodology for my postgraduate project?

The choice of research methodology will depend on your research question and objectives. Some common research methodologies used in postgraduate studies include qualitative, quantitative, mixed methods, and action research. It is important to carefully consider your research question and choose the methodology that best aligns with your objectives.

5. How do I effectively manage my time while conducting postgraduate research?

Time management is crucial when conducting postgraduate research. One way to effectively manage your time is to create a detailed timeline and set achievable goals for each stage of your research. Additionally, prioritize your tasks and allocate specific blocks of time for each task. It is also important to take breaks and practice self-care to avoid burnout.