Ground Questions: Power Supply & PCBs

• Thread starter Corneo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ground
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of jumper cables between the negative terminal of a power supply and common ground, as well as the difference between digital and analog grounds in terms of a PCB layout. It also mentions the floating nature of lab power supplies with respect to Earth ground and the importance of keeping digital and analog grounds separate to avoid interference. A link to a discussion on star grounding is also provided for further reading.
Corneo
I got a question regarding ground in terms of a power supply and another one with regards to PCBs.

Usually you see people put a jumper cable between the negative terminal of a power supply to common ground. Why do people do this? Is it for the user to reference the power supply to actual Earth ground? Isn't the chassis tied to Earth ground using the third prong?

Whats the difference between digital ground and analog ground in terms of a PCB? How are things actually wired in terms of a layout file?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The outputs of many lab power supplies are floating with respect to Earth ground, even if the power supply box uses a 3-prong power cord. This is handy if you want to stack power supplies in series, for example, to make a higher overall voltage.

Separate analog and digital grounds are used generally to keep digital noise out of the analog circuitry. You want to keep the grounds separate, and put the power supply in the middle, to avoid sharing any ground impedance between the distribution of power to the digital and analog sections.

See my discussion of star grounding in this thread, for example, and in the paper that I linked to in my post:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=213955

I can offer some insight into these questions about ground in relation to power supply and PCBs.

Regarding the first question about jumper cables, this practice is commonly done to ensure a stable and reliable ground connection. By connecting the negative terminal of the power supply to the common ground, any potential differences between the two can be minimized, resulting in a more consistent and accurate power supply output. This is especially important in electronic circuits where even small variations in ground can affect the performance of the circuit.

As for the second question about the difference between digital and analog ground on a PCB, it all comes down to the type of signals being processed. Digital signals operate at high frequencies and have sharp edges, while analog signals are continuous and operate at lower frequencies. Therefore, it is important to have separate ground planes for these signals to avoid interference and maintain signal integrity. In terms of the layout file, these separate ground planes are typically connected at certain points to create a common reference point.

In summary, proper grounding is crucial in electronic circuits to ensure stable and reliable operation. Jumper cables and separate ground planes are common techniques used to achieve this. I would also recommend consulting with an experienced engineer or referencing industry standards for specific guidelines on grounding in your particular application.

1. What is a power supply in the context of PCBs?

A power supply is a device that provides the necessary electrical energy to run a PCB (printed circuit board). It converts the AC voltage from a wall outlet into the DC voltage required by electronic components on the PCB.

2. What types of power supplies are commonly used in PCBs?

The most commonly used types of power supplies in PCBs are linear regulated, switching, and battery-based. Linear regulated power supplies are simple and inexpensive, but are less efficient and generate more heat. Switching power supplies are more complex and expensive, but are highly efficient and generate less heat. Battery-based power supplies use rechargeable batteries to power the PCB.

3. How do I choose the right power supply for my PCB?

When choosing a power supply for a PCB, you need to consider the required input voltage and current, as well as the output voltage and current needed for the components on the PCB. You should also consider the efficiency, size, and cost of the power supply, as well as any additional features, such as protection circuits or adjustable output.

4. What are some common issues with power supplies and PCBs?

Some common issues with power supplies and PCBs include insufficient power, noise or interference in the power supply, and voltage regulation problems. It is important to carefully select and test the power supply to ensure it can provide the necessary power and operates properly with the PCB.

5. What precautions should be taken when working with power supplies and PCBs?

When working with power supplies and PCBs, it is important to follow proper safety precautions, such as wearing protective gear and de-energizing the power supply before handling it. It is also important to carefully read and follow the manufacturer's instructions for the power supply and PCB. Additionally, proper grounding techniques should be used to prevent damage to the components and ensure safe operation.