Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ground state 1d problems

1. Mar 16, 2013 #1
    Is there some mathematical prove that for ground state in QM problems wave function doesn't have any zeros?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2013 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Yes there is.

4. Mar 16, 2013 #3
    Could you tell me some reference or link where I can find it.

5. Mar 16, 2013 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You can prove it yourself. Look at the time-independent energy operator, and ask what that tells you about the slope of the wavefunction. Then, ask yourself what nodes in the wavefunction mean to the slopes.

6. Mar 16, 2013 #5
    I have shown that for infinite square well and linear harmonic oscillator, but I don't know how to show that for any potential ##V(x)##.
    [tex]\frac{d^2\phi}{dx^2}+\frac{2m}{\hbar^2}(E-V(x))\phi(x)=0[/tex]
    That means that ##\frac{d\phi}{dx}=0##, ##\frac{d^2\phi}{dx^2}<0##

7. Mar 16, 2013 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Hint: deivative of the wavefunction.

8. Mar 16, 2013 #7
    I don't understand. Wave function in ground state has one maximum. So for some ##x=a##, ##\frac{d\phi}{dx}|_{x=a}=0##, ##\frac{d^2\phi}{dx^2}|_{x=a}<0## and point ##a## is unique in the whole region. Right? I think that is the logic, but I still don't know how to prove that.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  9. Mar 16, 2013 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Hint: average value of the derivative of the wavefunction

10. Mar 16, 2013 #9
    Average value of derivative of wave function is zero. Right?
    [tex]\frac{1}{b-a}\int^b_a \frac{d\psi}{dx}dx=\frac{1}{b-a}(\psi(b)-\psi(a))[/tex]
    This is result for any state, and not just for ground state.

11. Mar 16, 2013 #10

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

OK, absolute value...or square. I'm trying to get you to think, not calculate.

12. Mar 16, 2013 #11
    I'm trying. Ground state must have one stationary point ##\frac{d\phi}{dx}|_{x=a}=0##. All other states has more then one stationary point. That stationary point is maximum, so ##\frac{d^2\phi}{dx^2}|_{x=a}<0##. From some point to ##a## function ##\phi(x)## increase, and then decrease. Maybe u want me to see that the point ##a## is in the middle of this two intervals. That's the case in the problem that I saw till now.

13. Mar 21, 2013 #12
    I tried to prove but I still don't know how. Tnx for your answer.

14. Mar 21, 2013 #13

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

15. Mar 22, 2013 #14

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Suppose you have a wave function with a simple zero at x=a. Thus, near x=a we can write ψ(x)=c*(x-a), where c is a constant.

Let ε be a small length, and consider the following alternative wave function:
    χ(x) = -ψ(x) for x < a-ε
    χ(x) = cε (that is, constant) for a-ε < x < a+ε
    χ(x) = +ψ(x) for x > a+ε

Compute the expectation value of the hamiltonian in ψ and in χ, and show that the expectation value in χ is smaller than it is in ψ. This implies that ψ cannot be the ground state, because the ground state minimizes the expectation value of H. Therefore, ψ cannot have a zero.

16. Mar 22, 2013 #15

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Very nice argument.

17. Mar 22, 2013 #16

DrDu

Science Advisor

I think the book by Messiah, Quantum Mechanics, also has a nice proof based on the Wronskian.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook