1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ground state energies

1. Nov 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What are the energies of the ground state and the first two excited states of the He+ ion?

2. Relevant equations

En= - Eo/n2

3. The attempt at a solution

n=1 for this problem (since there is only 1 electron) so the ground state would have the electron contained in the 1s subshell. Thus E= -13.6eV(1/12)=-13.6eV

The first excited state has the electron entering the 2s subshell, and the second excited state in the 2p subshell? What I'm getting confused about (assuming my solution for E for the ground state is correct) is that since n=1, the answer won't change depending on what subshell it is in according to how I am approaching the problem. And this I beleive is incorrect.... Any thoughts, help? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok. Doesn't the energy of the ground state of a one electron atom depend on the charge of the nucleus? -13.6eV is the ground state energy for hydrogen. The general formula depends on Z^2 where Z is the charge of the nucleus. Look it up!

4. Nov 18, 2008 #3
    Ok I see where the text book was getting the -13.6 eV from now, I was looking at the section on the Hydrogen atom since I knew I needed to be dealing with one electron atoms. According to the text book it is -78.98 eV. So then is the energy in the two excited states goin to be this value squared?

5. Nov 18, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The two excited states are n=2 and n=3 for Z=2 nucleus. There is also a 1/n^2 in the formula you are looking for.

6. Nov 19, 2008 #5
    I understand now how to find the energies of the first two excited states by using the ground state energy. I do not however understand how to get the ground state energy without looking it up. What formula would I use?

7. Nov 19, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen-like_atom Skip down to the formula for E_n. The ground state is the energy for hydrogen times Z^2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?