1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ground-state energy of fermions

1. Oct 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the ground-state energy of 24 identical noninteracting fermions in a one-dimensional box of length L? (Because the quantum number associated with spin can have two values, each spatial state can be occupied by two fermions.) (Use h for Planck's constant, m for the mass, and L as necessary.)

2. Relevant equations

E=h^2/(8mL^2)[n1+n2+n3+....n24]

3. The attempt at a solution

Since the question states that each spatial state can be occupied by two fermions, I thought it would be 48h^2/8mL^2, simplifying to 6h^2/mL^2. However, this is incorrect. Any help would be much appreciated. The fact that two can occupy the same state is throwing me off.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't understand this equation; I thought the energy levels of a particle in a box were proportional to [itex]n^2[/itex]:

[tex]E_n=\frac{h^2n^2}{8mL^2}[/itex]

:wink:

3. The attempt at a solution
    The fact that two can occupy the same state is throwing me off.[/QUOTE]

Well, the first two fermions can occupy the [itex]n=1[/itex] state, but the next two will have to go in a higher energy level, [itex]n=2[/itex], and the next two will have to go in the [itex]n=3[/itex] level, and so on...

So the total ground state energy level will be [itex]E=2E_1+2E_2+\ldots 2E_{12}[/itex], right?

4. Oct 11, 2009 #3
    Thanks. I got it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook