Ground-state energy of fermions

• Thread starter w3390
  • Start date

Homework Statement

What is the ground-state energy of 24 identical noninteracting fermions in a one-dimensional box of length L? (Because the quantum number associated with spin can have two values, each spatial state can be occupied by two fermions.) (Use h for Planck's constant, m for the mass, and L as necessary.)

Homework Equations

E=h^2/(8mL^2)[n1+n2+n3+....n24]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the question states that each spatial state can be occupied by two fermions, I thought it would be 48h^2/8mL^2, simplifying to 6h^2/mL^2. However, this is incorrect. Any help would be much appreciated. The fact that two can occupy the same state is throwing me off.

Answers and Replies

gabbagabbahey
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Equations

E=h^2/(8mL^2)[n1+n2+n3+....n24]

I don't understand this equation; I thought the energy levels of a particle in a box were proportional to [itex]n^2[/itex]:

[tex]E_n=\frac{h^2n^2}{8mL^2}[/itex]

:wink:

The Attempt at a Solution

The fact that two can occupy the same state is throwing me off.[/QUOTE]

Well, the first two fermions can occupy the [itex]n=1[/itex] state, but the next two will have to go in a higher energy level, [itex]n=2[/itex], and the next two will have to go in the [itex]n=3[/itex] level, and so on...

So the total ground state energy level will be [itex]E=2E_1+2E_2+\ldots 2E_{12}[/itex], right?

Thanks. I got it.