Finding the Ground State of a Hamiltonian Operator

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the ground state of a Hamiltonian operator, with a 3x3 matrix as an example. The ground state is the state with the lowest energy. It is dependent on the potential and can have 0 energy. The uncertainty relation is calculated for a system in the energy ground state using the commutator of the Hamiltonian operator and another operator. To find the ground state, one must calculate the corresponding eigenvector. However, there may be a mistake in the calculations.
Matthollyw00d
When given a Hamiltonian operator (in this case a 3x3 matrix), how do you go about find the ground state, when this operator is all that is given? By the SE when have [tex]H\Psi=E\Psi[/tex]. I can easily solve for Eigenvalues/vectors, but which correspond to the ground state, or am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
The ground state is the state with the lowest energy.

So I achieve eigenvalues of [tex]\{0,1,2\}[/tex] (this is actually the eigenvalues I have for the problem), would the 0 or the 1 be the lowest state? I assumed 0, but can a ground state have 0 energy?

It depends on the potential. You can always add a constant to the potential without changing anything physically, which would shift the total energy by the same amount. What you can't really have is the kinetic energy being 0 because there should always be some motion even in the ground state.

Let [tex]H=\hbar\omega \[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
1 & i & 0 \\
-i & 1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 1 \end{array} \right) \][/tex]
and let [tex]A =\hbar \left[ \begin{array}{ccc}
1 & 0 & i \\
0 & 1 & 0 \\
-i & 0 & 1 \end{array} \right][/tex].

Calculate the uncertainty relation [tex]\sigma_E \sigma_a[/tex] for a system in the energy ground state.

My problem is calculating [tex]\langle [H,A]\rangle [/tex].
The commutator [tex][H,A]=\hbar^2\omega \left[ \begin{array}{ccc}
0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 1 \\
0 & -1 & 0 \end{array} \right][/tex]
And if relevant the eigenvalues of H are [tex]\hbar\omega \{0,1,2\}[/tex].
It says to calculate in the ground state, but I don't know the ground state, so how do I gather it from this data?

You have the eigenvalue for the ground state, now find the corresponding eigenvector. It will be a (non-zero) vector

[tex]v_0 = \begin{pmatrix} a \\ b \\ c \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

satisfying

[tex] H v_0 = 0.[/tex]

Yes, but [tex]\langle v_0|[H,A]|v_0 \rangle =0[/tex] which gives me a trivial inequality, which leads me to believe something is incorrect and hence why I posted here.

What is the ground state of a Hamiltonian operator?

The ground state of a Hamiltonian operator is the lowest energy state of a quantum mechanical system. It is the state in which the system is most stable and has the lowest possible energy.

Why is it important to find the ground state of a Hamiltonian operator?

Finding the ground state of a Hamiltonian operator allows us to understand the fundamental properties and behavior of a quantum mechanical system. It also allows us to make predictions about the system's behavior and potential applications.

How is the ground state of a Hamiltonian operator determined?

The ground state of a Hamiltonian operator is determined by solving the Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of a quantum system. The ground state is found by minimizing the energy of the system using mathematical techniques such as variational methods or perturbation theory.

What are the consequences of not accurately finding the ground state of a Hamiltonian operator?

If the ground state is not accurately determined, it can lead to incorrect predictions about the system's behavior. This can have significant consequences in fields such as quantum chemistry, materials science, and particle physics.

Can the ground state of a Hamiltonian operator be experimentally observed?

Yes, the ground state of a Hamiltonian operator can be experimentally observed through various techniques such as spectroscopy, where the energy levels of the system can be measured and compared to theoretical predictions. However, the ground state is often difficult to observe directly and may require sophisticated techniques and equipment.