1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grounded conducting cylinder using Laplace

1. Feb 9, 2005 #1
    Hi, I'm having trouble applying Laplace's equation solution in cylindrical coordinates to the problem of the grounded conducting cylinder of radius a in a uniform external field. The cylinder axis is the z axis, and the external electric field is E0 in the x direction. I need to find the potential V(r) and the induced surface charge. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What did u do exactly,did u separate variables and got ODE-s for all three variables...?

Daniel.

4. Feb 9, 2005 #3
    My professor in class said to use separation of variables.

[tex] \Phi = \Phi(\rho, \phi, z) [/tex]
    [tex] \nabla^2\Phi = \frac{1}{\rho} \frac{\partial}{\partial\rho} (\rho\frac{d\Phi}{d\rho}) + \frac{1}{\rho^2}\frac{\partial^2\Phi}{\partial\phi^2} + \frac{\partial^2\Phi}{\partial z^2}[/tex]
    which is the Laplace's Equation in cylindrical coordinates. And I think he said that we can ignore the z term because this case is z independent.

Then I'm not sure how to obtain the solutions to this equation. And after I get the solutions, how do I apply it to this problem?

5. Feb 9, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well,u have to come up with so-called limit conditions.The general solution will not be good for anything,if u can't use the limit conditions...

Daniel.

6. Feb 9, 2005 #5
    I think we call them boundary conditions. Well in this case, since the cylindrical conductor is grounded, the limit condition must be that V(a) = 0.

7. Feb 9, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Okay,then,separate varaibles and integrate each equation.Though i think you may need another condition.You must fix 2 integraton constants,after all...

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?