What is the total charge on the grounded conductive shell?

• Thread starter Kosta1234
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shell
In summary, the solution to the laplace equation for a point charge and a shell with given radius is found by using image charges. If the enclosed charge is not zero, the field outside the shell may not be zero.
Kosta1234
Homework Statement
Grounded conductive shell
Relevant Equations
image method

Hello. I will be glad if someone can help me with this:

I've a grounded conductive shell with outer radius of ## R_2## and inner radius ##R_1##.
a charge ## Q ## is located inside of the shell, in distance ## r<R_1 ## , and a charge ## q ## is located in distance ## a > R_2 ## outside of the conductive shell.
The two charges are not located on the same axis and we don't know the angle between them.

What is the total charge on the shell?

My way of thinking is like this:
To split the problem to two main parts: the first one is a charge Q and radius ## R_1 ## shell. and the second is charge q and radius ## R_2 ## shell. I wanted to solve the laplace equation for each case - to figure out which image charges I should put so they would solve laplace equation and then, to solve this I would use: ## Q + q + Q_{image} = Q + q +Q_{shell} ##

to figure out the answer to the first part I used the method of image charges. I've ignored the fact that this is a shell with some given width, and found a potential that solved laplace's equation if the problem would be a charge Q and a shell with radius ## R_1 ##.
In this case I figured out that the image charge, which is located on the same axis that connecting charge Q with point (0,0,0) is:
## Q' = -Q \frac {R_1}{r} ##

the same thing with the second part:
## q' = -q \frac {R_2}{a} ##

so
## Q_{image} = -Q \frac {R_1}{r} -q \frac {R_2}{a} ##

it means that
## Q_{shell} = -Q \frac {R_1}{r} -q \frac {R_2}{a} ##
But I saw the answer, and she is:
## Q_{shell } =
-Q -q \frac {R_2}{a} ## .

Where I've been wrong?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you split the problem into a superposition, then the solution on the inner surface doesn't need the image method.

why is that?

Kosta1234 said:
why is that?
Gauss's law.

Because the net flux is zero?
Using Gauss law is not only when I got symmetry in the problem?

Kosta1234 said:
Because the net flux is zero?
Using Gauss law is not only when I got symmetry in the problem?
If the enclosed charge is not zero, then the field can't be zero everywhere inside the conductor. Your solution cannot, therefore, be valid for the inner surface.

The converse is not true. If the enclosed charge is zero, the total flux through a surface is zero, but the field may not be zero everywhere. That's why you need a specific charge distribution on the inner surface to have a zero field externally.

But the total charge on the inner surface must be equal and opposite to the point charge ##Q##.

Thank you!.

1. What is a grounded conductive shell?

A grounded conductive shell is a structure or object made of a conductive material, such as metal, that is connected to the ground through a wire or other means. This allows any excess electrical charge on the shell to be safely discharged into the ground.

2. How does a grounded conductive shell work?

A grounded conductive shell works by providing a path for electrical charges to flow into the ground. This is achieved through the process of grounding, where the shell is connected to a conductive material, such as a metal rod, that is buried in the ground. Any excess electrical charge on the shell is then safely transferred into the ground, preventing potential hazards.

3. What are the benefits of using a grounded conductive shell?

There are several benefits of using a grounded conductive shell, including protection from electrical shocks, prevention of damage to sensitive electronic equipment, and mitigation of electromagnetic interference. It also helps to maintain a stable electrical environment by providing a path for excess charges to be dissipated.

4. Where are grounded conductive shells commonly used?

Grounded conductive shells are commonly used in electronic devices, power lines, and buildings to protect against electrical hazards and interference. They are also used in industries such as telecommunications, aviation, and healthcare to ensure the safe operation of sensitive equipment.

5. How can I test if a grounded conductive shell is working properly?

To test if a grounded conductive shell is working properly, you can use a multimeter to measure the resistance between the shell and the ground. A low resistance reading indicates that the shell is effectively grounded. You can also use a surge protector to test if the shell is protecting against electrical surges and spikes.