Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Groundhog Day - my best holiday!

1. Feb 2, 2013 #1
    Groundhog Day -- my best holiday!

No gifts! No cards! No special decorations! No costumes or candy! Just lean back and enjoy a weather forecast that no one believes anyway!

Am I just an old grouch, or do any of you share my joy in the simplicity of GH Day?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2013 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Re: Groundhog Day -- my best holiday!

Sonic footlong hotdogs are half price on GH day.

4. Feb 2, 2013 #3

Sounds like the beginning of a beatiful GH Day tradition, like turkey on Thanksgiving...

For half off, I suppose I can manage it even if it's only 11 inches long...

5. Feb 2, 2013 #4

Evo

It's Sonic, don't accidently go to Subway!

6. Feb 2, 2013 #5

Sonic sounds familiar, I suspect I can find one nearby. I'll get a footlong dog, measure it, and report the results here.

The worst pun that I've heard all day is that GH day has been "overshadowed" by the Super Bowl game. Uggg...

7. Feb 2, 2013 #6

Evo

I highly recommend Sonic hot dogs. I know where I'll be later today. I wonder if I have a ruler somewhere?

8. Feb 2, 2013 #7

Evo -- Great scott, computer search reveals no Sonics within my range, I'll count on you to measure that hummer.

9. Feb 2, 2013 #8

Evo

OMG!!! Now I feel terrible for telling you. I will eat one in your honor and report it's size. How do you feel about chili and cheese?

10. Feb 2, 2013 #9

We always celebrate by going to my western mansion because it hogs a mess of ground. Normally we would have T-bone steaks, medium warmed. This year we'll have hotdogs for a welcome change. You gotta love a ceremony, taking place 6 weeks before the end of winter, whose purpose is to determine if we'll have 6 more weeks of winter.

11. Feb 2, 2013 #10

Thank you, Evo, you're the groundhog princess! Chili dogs are my favorite food, though I find them rather messy to eat. I can take or leave the cheese, but will always add chopped onions.

12. Feb 2, 2013 #11

The gopher didn't seen his shadow today. Spring is right around the corner!

I love stuff at half price. But a sonic hot dog? Can't you buy hot dogs at the store? The most work goes into opening the packages. If I'm paying someone to warm up a hot dog for me, it probably won't be as good as the ones I make. Wolf Brand Chilli, whatever fancy (organic, jalapeno, apple fused, ect) dogs are on sale, toasted buns and topped with good cheese (sauteed onions if you are into that kind of thing). I have philosophical objections against paying someone to use a microwave and can opener for me. It is like giving Olive Garden $13 to boil noodles and open the oven for bread, just doesn't make sense to me.

Sometimes, I want to jump across the counter, slap the spatula out of the chef's hand, and fix my own darn food. Anyway, I'm with grandpa old fart. I wasn't consciously celebrating GH day but now I know I did it the right way, relaxing on my awesome ***.

13. Feb 2, 2013 #12

turbo

Gold Member

My wife's best friend's husband has a large Frito-Lay route. This was a really big day for him. The day before New Years and the day before Independence day are big ones, but the day before the Super Bowl is a monster.

14. Feb 2, 2013 #13

Evo

Always onions!!

I failed you, I got sick today and didn't make it down the street.

So, in your honor I had two Jimmy John's Italian nightclubs delivered.

Italian Nightclub - The original Italian sub with genoa salami, provolone, capicola, onion, lettuce, tomato & a real tasty Italian vinaigrette on fresh baked french bread.

15. Feb 2, 2013 #14

Evo, hope you get well quickly! Hopefully this is just the result of too much groundhog holiday excitement - my kids used to get sick like that sometimes...

Thanks SOOO much for ordering the Italian subs for me! Must be pretty spendy to have them shipped to Virginia, you are too sweet!

When I finish this, I'll ring up the Sonic webpage and see if I can order a footlong dog online, so you won't have to get up from your sickbed to measure one yourself...

16. Feb 2, 2013 #15

Naive youth still pumps through my veins, so I'm a sucker for the Christmas season. I'm sure the world will beat me down in time, though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook