1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grounding resistance exercise

Tags:
  1. Nov 7, 2015 #1

Edg

• Member advised to use the homework template!
    Hi!

I can't find the method of the solution to this question, it was an exercise on an exam..

There are two grounding electrodes buried in the ground. We make three measurments. First, we measure the first electrode's grounding resistance, which is: 6 ohms. Then, the second's: 7 ohms. Then the resistance between the two electrodes: 5 ohms.
    The question is, if we connect the two electrodes with an ideal wire (which has no resistance), then what will be the system's grounding resistance.
    We only know this much, nothing more.

The correct answer is: 5.2 ohms.

How can you acquire this result?

3.23 ohms is not the right answer...

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2015 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I got a totally different answer of 1.2 Ohms (but I've been out in the rain all day so I may have made a mistake).

Best show us your circuit and attempt to solve. It's a forum rule anyway.

4. Nov 7, 2015 #3

Edg

Thanks for the answer, but there is no circuit, I could show you. How did you get 1.2 ohms?
    (I only know the final result, the 5.2 Ohms.)

5. Nov 7, 2015 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Draw your own circuit?

6. Nov 7, 2015 #5

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Mentor's comment: Edg has asked to have the thread closed, so I'm closing it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook