Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grounding straps

1. Sep 23, 2010 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you use a grounding strap when working on electronics?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antistatic_wrist_strap

I'm going to start working more on upgrading and replacing parts in computers at my job, and I'm wondering if I should get one of these. I don't see our techs wearing them, though.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2010 #2
    No. In the 10 years I have been working on computers I have never worn one and never really seen a need to. As long as you touch the case of the computer before touching its guts I see no reason to ever use one. I know some people that have worn them just because they think of them as nerd jewelry.

4. Sep 23, 2010 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have never used one when working on my computers. Did occasionally at work when someone who cared was watching. As far as computers go, as long as you are careful with handling components I am not convinced it is necessary. By careful, I mean taking care not to touch conductive surfaces on the board. Handle them by the edges, touching only the green circuit board material. It does not hurt any to start by grounding yourself, that is touch the metal of the case or other well grounded surface.

Good luck!

5. Sep 24, 2010 #4
    Back in the day I would wear one. Mostly because I was tearing my PC apart on my carpet floor wearing socks in winter.

6. Sep 25, 2010 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for the feedback. I am a little worried about all the static that's coming up in the cooler months. I'm Shockzilla in the winter. People run from me.

7. Sep 25, 2010 #6
    As long as you and the computer remain at the same potential, there's no problem. Just touch some skin to the bare metal chassis before you touch any components. Also, do the same before opening the anti-static bag of any new parts.

As mentioned above, environmental conditions should be considered. If humidity is low, and/or you notice sparks jumping from your hand to the doorknob, a ground strap might be a good idea. ;-)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook