1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group Action on a Set

1. Apr 17, 2005 #1
    Question

Let [itex]G=GL(2,\mathbb{R})[/itex] be the group of invertible [itex]2\times 2[/itex] martrices with real entries. Consider the action of [itex]G[/itex] on itself by conjugation. For the element

[tex]A= \left(\begin{array}{cc}
    2 & 1 \\
    0 & 3
    \end{array}\right)[/tex]

of [itex]G[/itex], describe (i) the orbit and (ii) the isotropy group of [itex]A[/itex]

Sorry, I have no working out because I am completely stumped. Can anyone give me some helpful hints or pointers. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2005 #2
    The orbit is going to be of the form

[tex]O_A = \{gA\,|\, g\in GL(2,\mathbb{R})\}[/tex]

Here [itex]g[/itex] can be found by the following way

[tex]gA = Ag[/tex] where [tex]g \in GL(2,\mathbb{R})[/tex]

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}a & b \\ c & d\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{cc}2 & 1 \\ 0 & 3\end{array}\right) = \left(\begin{array}{cc}2 & 1 \\ 0 & 3\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{cc}a & b \\ c & d\end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}2a & a+3b \\ 2c & c+3d\end{array}\right) = \left(\begin{array}{cc}2a+c & 2b+d \\ 3c & 3d\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Which implies that [itex]2c = 3c = 0 \Leftrightarrow c = 0[/itex]. Hence

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}2a & a+3b \\ 0 & 3d\end{array}\right) = \left(\begin{array}{cc}2a & 2b+d \\ 0 & 3d\end{array}\right) [/tex]

And we can write

[tex]g = \left(\begin{array}{cc}a & d-a \\ 0 & d\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Therefore the orbit can be described as

[tex]O_A = \{gA\,|\, g\in GL(2,\mathbb{R})\}[/tex]

So

[tex]O_A = \left(\begin{array}{cc}2a & -2a + 3d \\ 0 & 3d\end{array}\right)\quad \forall a,b \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]

how does this look?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2005
  4. Apr 17, 2005 #3
    The isotropy group is the subgroup of [itex]GL(2,\mathbb{R})[/itex] consisting of the elements that do not move [itex]A[/itex]. That is

[tex]G_A = \{gA = A\,|\,g\in GL(2,\mathbb{R})\}[/tex]

Therefore we have

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}2a & -2a+3d \\ 0 & 3d\end{array}\right) = \left(\begin{array}{cc}2 & 1 \\ 0 & 3\end{array}\right)[/tex]

So [itex]a = 1, \, d = 1 [/itex]. Therefore

[tex]G_A = \left(\begin{array}{cc}1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1\end{array}\right) = e[/tex]

the isotropy subgroup consists of the identity element.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  5. Apr 19, 2005 #4
    Anyone know if I have done this correctly? Anyone?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?