1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group action on a subgroup

1. Nov 28, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm trying to prove that, if H is a subgroup of an arbitrary group G, then H^g, the action of a given element in G on H, is isomorphic to H.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Let \sigma denote a given action of G on H. We are considering the map \sigma(g, *) : H -> H^g (where g is fixed and * denotes a variable element of H). I think that the kernel of this map is the set of all elements x in H such that \sigma(g, x) = g (this is the part I'm not sure of). Since x lies in H and H is a subgroup of G, it follows that x must be equal to e, the identity element of G. Thus, ker{\sigma(g, x)} is trivial, and, as a result,
    [tex] H^g \cong G/ \mbox{ker}(\sigma(g, *)) = G, [/tex]
    by the first isomorphism theorem.
    Does this seem correct? If so, can you please justify the statement that
    [tex] \mbox{ker} \sigma(g, *) = \{ x| \sigma(g, x) = g \ \forall x \in H \} [/tex]?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2007 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This doesn't make sense - an action is not a group. To have any chance of solving this problem correctly, you should write down what H^g actually is.

4. Nov 28, 2007 #3
    H^g would be a group in certain cases (i.e. conjugation), but not in others. So the proof above certainly does not apply in general.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?