Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group algebras of D4 and Q8 please help

1. Dec 11, 2003 #1
    group algebras of D4 and Q8.. please help!!

ok this is my problem:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    for
    D4 - the dihedral group of order 8
    and
    Q8 - quaternion group of order 8

describe the group algebra kG (for a big enough k so that Masche thm. holds), both its algebra and coalgebra structure.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    please if you have any suggestions how should i procede i'll be glad to see them

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2004 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First you must tell us over what field you want the algebra defined. If the field has characteristic not equal to 2 the answer is almost trivial by wedderburn's structure theorem (it is FxFxFxFx(M_2(F))x(M_2(F)) where F is the field I think, by complete reducibility of the group's representation theory). Over char 2 it's a little harder.

4. Jan 16, 2004 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry, I omitted to say, that the *size* of k is unimportant to describe the algebra structure, merely its characteristic (if it is a field, a ring is different again). It is a full matrix algebra so its structure and coalgebra structure are easy to describe (if the char is not 2).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?