Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group center properties

1. Dec 2, 2011 #1
    I am aware of the theorem |G/Z(G)|=p with p prime implies G/Z(G) is cyclic and thus G is abelian, but I do not understand why. Is there not a theorem that says G abelian [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] Z(G)=G? So what if |G|=p[itex]^{3}[/itex] and |Z(G)|=p[itex]^{2}[/itex]? This implies |G/Z(G)|=p implying G is abelian however G[itex]\neq[/itex]Z(G). What is the ambiguity here?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

There is no ambiguity. The situation you mention can just never occur. You have just proven that it can never oocur that |G|=p3 and |Z(G)|=p2.

You can use this, for example to prove that all groups of order p2 are abelian. Indeed, Z(G) is a subgroup of G, so there are three possibilities:
    • |Z(G)|=1 It can be proven that this can never happen (a group with prime order must always have nontrivial center)
    • |Z(G)|=p Then your theorem says the group is abelian, thus |Z(G)|=p2, which is a contradiction.
    • |Z(G)|=p2 is the only remaining possibility.

4. Dec 2, 2011 #3
    Ah I see! Thanks for clearing that up.

5. Dec 3, 2011 #4

lavinia

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try looking at the exact sequence of groups,

0 -> Z(G) -> G -> G/Z(G) -> 1

- Any group of prime order is cyclic so G/Z(G) is cyclic.
    - If the sequence is split then the group is isomorphic to the direct product Z(G) x G/Z(G)
    so G is abelian and Z(G) = G
    - If the sequence is not split what happens?

6. Dec 3, 2011 #5
    I do not follow, I don't believe I've ever looked at this sequence or talked about what a split sequence is. Micromass cleared up the problem I was having though.

7. Dec 3, 2011 #6

Deveno

Science Advisor

lavina, do you mean not left-split (because right-splits need not be direct products)?

8. Dec 5, 2011 #7

lavinia

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To me split means that there is an inverse of the projection onto G/Z(G)

Since Z(G) is in the center of the group split means direct product - I think.

What you get is that there is a subgroup isomorphic to G/Z(G) that commutes with every other element of the group. this should be a direct product.

If the sequence is not split then a lift of a generator of the quotient has some power that lies in Z(G) but again it commutes with everything so G is abelian.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  9. Dec 5, 2011 #8

lavinia

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am sorry. I thought he only cleared up a special case. Anyway. This is a different way of looking at the problem that I thought you might find interesting.

10. Dec 6, 2011 #9

Deveno

Science Advisor

ah, so you DID mean right-split. let me assure you that right-split ≠ direct product.

consider the following short exact sequence:

0→Cn→Dn→Dn/Cn→0.

(where we map a generator of Cn, to a generating rotation of Dn).

define:

f:Dn/Cn→Dn by:

f(Cn) = 1
    f(Cns) = s

then if p is the canonical projection: p(f(Cnx)) = Cnx.

but Dn is certainly not a direct product of abelian groups.

11. Dec 6, 2011 #10

lavinia

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If The kernel is in the center of the group then split means direct product. Otherwise not necessarily.I think the proof is straight forward.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  12. Dec 7, 2011 #11

Deveno

Science Advisor

i see how this is true, because if H acts on N by conjugation, and N is in Z(G), the action has to be trivial.

13. Dec 8, 2011 #12

lavinia

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yes. that's it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook