Why is G abelian if |G/Z(G)|=p with p prime?

In summary: I am not sure what you mean. You said something about "the action has to be" but you didn't say what it has to be. Can you fill in the blank?In summary, the conversation discusses the theorem that states |G/Z(G)|=p with p prime implies G/Z(G) is cyclic and thus G is abelian. The ambiguity arises when considering the theorem that says G abelian \Leftrightarrow Z(G)=G, and the question of what happens if |G|=p^{3} and |Z(G)|=p^{2}. Through examining the exact sequence of groups, it is proven that this situation cannot occur and it can be used to prove that all groups of order p^{2}
Menelaus
I am aware of the theorem |G/Z(G)|=p with p prime implies G/Z(G) is cyclic and thus G is abelian, but I do not understand why. Is there not a theorem that says G abelian [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] Z(G)=G? So what if |G|=p[itex]^{3}[/itex] and |Z(G)|=p[itex]^{2}[/itex]? This implies |G/Z(G)|=p implying G is abelian however G[itex]\neq[/itex]Z(G). What is the ambiguity here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Menelaus said:
I am aware of the theorem |G/Z(G)|=p with p prime implies G/Z(G) is cyclic and thus G is abelian, but I do not understand why. Is there not a theorem that says G abelian [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] Z(G)=G? So what if |G|=p[itex]^{3}[/itex] and |Z(G)|=p[itex]^{2}[/itex]? This implies |G/Z(G)|=p implying G is abelian however G[itex]\neq[/itex]Z(G). What is the ambiguity here?

There is no ambiguity. The situation you mention can just never occur. You have just proven that it can never oocur that |G|=p3 and |Z(G)|=p2.

You can use this, for example to prove that all groups of order p2 are abelian. Indeed, Z(G) is a subgroup of G, so there are three possibilities:
  • |Z(G)|=1 It can be proven that this can never happen (a group with prime order must always have nontrivial center)
  • |Z(G)|=p Then your theorem says the group is abelian, thus |Z(G)|=p2, which is a contradiction.
  • |Z(G)|=p2 is the only remaining possibility.

Ah I see! Thanks for clearing that up.

Menelaus said:

Try looking at the exact sequence of groups,

0 -> Z(G) -> G -> G/Z(G) -> 1

- Any group of prime order is cyclic so G/Z(G) is cyclic.
- If the sequence is split then the group is isomorphic to the direct product Z(G) x G/Z(G)
so G is abelian and Z(G) = G
- If the sequence is not split what happens?

lavinia said:
- If the sequence is split then the group is isomorphic to the direct product Z(G) x G/Z(G)

I do not follow, I don't believe I've ever looked at this sequence or talked about what a split sequence is. Micromass cleared up the problem I was having though.

lavinia said:
Try looking at the exact sequence of groups,

0 -> Z(G) -> G -> G/Z(G) -> 1

- Any group of prime order is cyclic so G/Z(G) is cyclic.

lavina, do you mean not left-split (because right-splits need not be direct products)?

Deveno said:
lavina, do you mean not left-split (because right-splits need not be direct products)?

To me split means that there is an inverse of the projection onto G/Z(G)

Since Z(G) is in the center of the group split means direct product - I think.

What you get is that there is a subgroup isomorphic to G/Z(G) that commutes with every other element of the group. this should be a direct product.

If the sequence is not split then a lift of a generator of the quotient has some power that lies in Z(G) but again it commutes with everything so G is abelian.

Last edited:
Menelaus said:
I do not follow, I don't believe I've ever looked at this sequence or talked about what a split sequence is. Micromass cleared up the problem I was having though.

I am sorry. I thought he only cleared up a special case. Anyway. This is a different way of looking at the problem that I thought you might find interesting.

lavinia said:
To me split means that there is an inverse of the projection onto G/Z(G)

Since Z(G) is in the center of the group split means direct product - I think.

What you get is that there is a subgroup isomorphic to G/Z(G) that commutes with every other element of the group. this should be a direct product.

If the sequence is not split then a lift of a generator of the quotient has some power that lies in Z(G) but again it commutes with everything so G is abelian.

ah, so you DID mean right-split. let me assure you that right-split ≠ direct product.

consider the following short exact sequence:

0→Cn→Dn→Dn/Cn→0.

(where we map a generator of Cn, to a generating rotation of Dn).

define:

f:Dn/Cn→Dn by:

f(Cn) = 1
f(Cns) = s

then if p is the canonical projection: p(f(Cnx)) = Cnx.

but Dn is certainly not a direct product of abelian groups.

Deveno said:
ah, so you DID mean right-split. let me assure you that right-split ≠ direct product.

consider the following short exact sequence:

0→Cn→Dn→Dn/Cn→0.

(where we map a generator of Cn, to a generating rotation of Dn).

define:

f:Dn/Cn→Dn by:

f(Cn) = 1
f(Cns) = s

then if p is the canonical projection: p(f(Cnx)) = Cnx.

but Dn is certainly not a direct product of abelian groups.

If The kernel is in the center of the group then split means direct product. Otherwise not necessarily.I think the proof is straight forward.

Last edited:
lavinia said:
If The kernel is in the center of the group then split means direct product. Otherwise not necessarily.I think the proof is straight forward.

i see how this is true, because if H acts on N by conjugation, and N is in Z(G), the action has to be trivial.

Deveno said:
i see how this is true, because if H acts on N by conjugation, and N is in Z(G), the action has to be trivial.

yes. that's it.

1. What are group center properties?

Group center properties refer to the characteristics or qualities of a group that define its central identity or purpose.

2. What are some examples of group center properties?

Some examples of group center properties include shared values, goals, beliefs, or interests that bring the group together and give it a sense of unity.

3. Why are group center properties important?

Group center properties are important because they help establish a sense of cohesion and direction within a group, allowing members to work together towards a common goal and build a strong sense of community.

4. How do group center properties develop?

Group center properties can develop through a variety of factors, such as shared experiences, common goals, or a strong leader who establishes a clear vision for the group.

5. Can group center properties change over time?

Yes, group center properties can change over time as the group evolves and faces new challenges or experiences. It is important for group members to regularly reassess and reinforce their center properties to ensure they align with the group's current goals and values.