Deriving the Group Delay of an LTI Discrete-Time System

In summary, the group delay of an LTI discrete-time system can be expressed as the real part of the derivative of the frequency response divided by the frequency response itself. However, the validity of this equation may not be immediately apparent. Further clarification may be needed from a friend or colleague.
ElfenKiller

Homework Statement

Show that the group delay of an LTI discrete-time system characterized by a frequency response [itex]H(e^{j\omega})[/itex] can be expressed as

[itex]\tau(\omega)= Re\left\{\frac{j\frac{dH(e^{j\omega}}{d\omega}}{H(e^{j\omega}}\right\} [/itex].

Homework Equations

beginning.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I understand the rest of the proof (not shown here) but I don't see why the equation in (2) is valid. First, I had the idea that the first term in the equation in (2) is the real part and the second term in the equation is the imaginary part of the derivative, but it does not really appear to me to be like that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Found the solution by asking some friend. If someone wants to know it, let me know.

1. What is the definition of group delay in an LTI system?

The group delay of an LTI (Linear Time Invariant) system is the time delay experienced by a group of frequencies passing through the system, relative to a reference frequency. It is a measure of the distortion in the phase response of the system.

2. How is group delay different from phase delay?

Group delay and phase delay are both measures of the time delay in a system, but they differ in how they are calculated. Group delay takes into account the variation in the phase response over a range of frequencies, while phase delay is the delay at a specific frequency. In other words, group delay is the slope of the phase response curve, while phase delay is the value of the phase response at a specific frequency.

3. Why is group delay an important characteristic of an LTI system?

Group delay is an important characteristic of an LTI system because it affects the time-domain behavior of the system. It can cause distortion in the output signal, especially in systems that process signals with a wide range of frequencies. Additionally, group delay can impact the stability and performance of a system, making it a crucial consideration in system design and analysis.

4. How is group delay related to the system's impulse response?

In an LTI system, the group delay is directly related to the system's impulse response. Specifically, the group delay is equal to the negative derivative of the system's phase response with respect to frequency. This means that the group delay can be calculated from the impulse response or vice versa.

5. Can group delay be measured in real-world systems?

Yes, group delay can be measured in real-world systems using various techniques such as swept-sine testing, frequency response analysis, and step response analysis. These measurements can provide valuable insights into the behavior of a system and help in identifying and correcting any group delay issues that may arise.