1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group homomorphism

1. Mar 27, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let G be a group with identity e and product ab for any elements a and b of G.
    Let ф: G⟶G be a map such that Ф(a sub1)ф (a sub2)ф(a sub3) = ф(b sub1) ф(b sub2) ф(b sub3) whenever,
    (a1) (a2)(a3) = e=(b1) (b2) (b3) for any(not necessarily distinct) elements a1 ,a2 ,a3, b1, b2, b3 of G.
    Prove: There exists an element a in G such that the map @: G⟶G defined by @(x) = a ф(x) for every element x in G, is a homomorphism.

2. Relevant equations
    Def: A homommorphism Ф from a group G to a group G is a mapping from G to G that preserves the group opperation. That is, Ф(ab) = Ф(a)Ф(b) for all a, b in G
    Properties of elements under a homomorphism:
    Ф carries the identity in G to the identity in G
    Ф preserves inverses
    *note that the Ф in this section is not the same as in the question...

3. The attempt at a solution

I really havent got a clue on where to even begin to define "a" I am thinking that it needs to be triplet for example aea^(-1)...but I have no idea what to do or where to start....I am completely lost, can anyone give me a push in the right direction?:confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2007 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Combine the facts "homomorphisms carry the identity in G to the identity in G" with "@(x) = aф(x)" to determine a.

4. Mar 28, 2007 #3
    I dont have a homomorphism though... I am not given the fact that Ф is a homomorphism????

5. Mar 28, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

AKG's point is that '@' is supposed to be a homomorphism, not the original function. So @(e) had better be e. Can we change symbols here?

6. Mar 28, 2007 #5
    OK thanks...I will work with that for a bit and see where I get....you can use what ever symbol you like i tried using gamma but couldnt get it to come up right...

7. Mar 28, 2007 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It might help to experiment with ф to try and understand it better.

You have an identity it satisfies -- try plugging special values into those identities to see if you can deduce other facts about ф.

Try choosing a group and constructing an actual function ф that satisfies the listed properties.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?