Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group - How to transform?

1. Nov 6, 2008 #1
    Hello

I have problems forming a term.

The exercise is:

[tex] \text{Let G be a group and } x,y,z,u \in G [/tex]

[tex]\mathrm{Z\kern-.3em\raise-0.5ex\hbox{Z}}: ~ \left(x \left( \left( \left( y^{-1} \left( x^{-1} \cdot z \right) \right) ^{-1} \cdot u \right) \cdot \left( y \cdot u \right)^{-1} \right) ^{-1} \right) = z [/tex]

I kwon that I have to show that:

i.) Associative Law

ii.) Identity Element

iii.) Inverse Element

If I look the term it is clear that I have to form it such that I only have z=z and the other elements x,y,u should be transformed into the identity because of their inverse elements.

I don't know how to form this concretely

Thanks for help
    Greetings

p.s.
    This is not homework or something like that. I want to dish my mathematical tools :)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure I understand your question. What does "[itex]\mathrm{Z\kern-.3em\raise-0.5ex\hbox{Z}}:[/itex]" mean?

I'm going to assume you want to show that the equation you posted holds for all x,y,z,u. In which case, notice that, for any a,b in G, [itex](ab)^{-1} = b^{-1} a^{-1}[/itex].

4. Nov 7, 2008 #3
    lol
    This is German and means "zu zeigen" - "has to be shown". This abbr. is often in the beginning of a theorem or an implication in it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?