Group IV Experiment: Last-Minute Help & Suggestions Needed

In summary, the Group IV Experiment is examining how different water and soil factors affect the biodiversity of an area. They are looking for suggestions on an experiment to do, and if you have any other ideas, please let them know.
matadorqk
I am performing the Group IV Experiment in approximately 3 days, and I needed some last-minute help and suggestions towards what I am doing. My group is examining two ecosystems, one with and one without a river. We will view how different water and soil factors affect the biodiversity of the area.

I can't do the following tasks as other groups are already doing them:
  • Flow of the Water
  • UV Radiation Measurements
  • Conductivity of the Water

My current experiment involves a variety of small factors, such as altitude, and air pressure, but nothing concrete. I had got as a suggestion moisture of the soil, but linking moisture of the soil to evaporation is a rather weak physics link overall.

I would like some suggestions for my experiment, anything I can perform or measure that will be time-consuming, and worthwhile to contribute. If you can, list the materials to actually perform the experiment, and please try to keep them reasonable, considering it is rather hard for me to get these materials.

If you do not know of another good experiment, perhaps you could elaborate on a better link within soil moisture and physics?

Thank you,
matadorqk

Physics news on Phys.org
any suggestions..?

Have you considered a water infiltration test?

http://uwarboretum.org/eps/research_act_classroom/rain_garden/2%20Perform%20Site%20Analysis/Infilitration%20Test%20for%20RG%202-4.pdf"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the infiltration test. I talked to my teacher and he enjoyed the idea of the water infilitration. I think I'm probably going to do this test, along with measuring altitude, wind speed in the area, and moisture. Personally, I didn't like the moisture test, as it has little to do with physics, but the flow of water within soil will really contribute to my group.

Thanks ALOT!

matadorqk

(i'd be glad to hear any other suggestions, but I have only today to buy materials, and I'm just going to buy the cylinder, I really like that experiment).

1. What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to investigate the properties and reactions of elements in Group IV of the periodic table.

2. What materials are needed for this experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment may include Group IV elements (carbon, silicon, germanium, tin, and lead), various compounds, beakers, test tubes, Bunsen burner, and other laboratory equipment.

3. What are some potential safety precautions to keep in mind while conducting this experiment?

Some potential safety precautions to keep in mind while conducting this experiment include wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, handling chemicals carefully, and following proper laboratory procedures to prevent accidents.

4. Can this experiment be modified for different grade levels or abilities?

Yes, this experiment can be modified for different grade levels or abilities by adjusting the complexity of the procedures and the level of analysis and data collection required.

5. What are some possible outcomes or conclusions that can be drawn from this experiment?

Some possible outcomes or conclusions that can be drawn from this experiment include determining the reactivity of Group IV elements, observing their physical and chemical properties, and comparing their similarities and differences.