Is a Group of Order 15 Always Abelian?

• Thread starter Jupiter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, the conversation discusses proving that a group of order 15 is abelian. The person has tried to prove it through the class equation and eliminating cases where the center has orders of 3 or 5. They are having trouble finding a contradiction when assuming the center has an order of 1. They mention wanting to see alternative proofs and a proof that the group is cyclic. The conversation also mentions looking into the fundamental theorem of finite abelian groups and how it relates to the product of two primes. The final question asks for clarification on how to conclude the existence of an element of order 15 in the group.
Jupiter
I need to prove that a group of order 15 is abelian. I have (tried to) attached my work but it's too long. Basically, I'm looking at the class equation and considering all possibile orders of the center Z(G). I've successfully eliminated the cases where |Z|=3,5. I'm having trouble with coming up with a contradiction when assuming |Z(G)|=1.
I'm also interested in seeing alternative proofs (perhaps something more elegant), and also a proof that G is in fact cyclic.
Is there any decent generalization of this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try and look up the fundamental theorem of finite abelian groups. I think it has to do with the fact that 15 is the product of two primes, and that 3*5 is the only decomposion possible. So there is only group of order 15, which is the product of two cyclic groups of order 5 and order 3. Since 3 and 5 are relatively prime, The group of order 15 has an element of order 15 generating it and thus is cyclic.

Was that helpfull?

Hey Dimitri!

15 = 3*5
So, there will exist elements of orders 3 and 5 say 'a' and 'b'. that's correct. But then how can u conclude that there will exist an element in the group of order 15.
If group were abelian then this fact was true, bcoz then o(ab)= lcm (3,5)=15.
But here we have to prove that group is indeed Abelian.

What is a group of order 15 abelian?

A group of order 15 abelian is a mathematical structure that consists of 15 elements and follows the properties of being abelian, meaning that its group operation is both commutative and associative. This group is commonly denoted as Z15.

What are the elements of a group of order 15 abelian?

The elements of a group of order 15 abelian are the numbers 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, and 14. These elements can be combined using the group operation (addition modulo 15) to form the group.

What is the identity element of a group of order 15 abelian?

The identity element of a group of order 15 abelian is 0. This means that when 0 is combined with any other element in the group using the group operation, the resulting element will be the same as the original element.

Is a group of order 15 abelian the same as a cyclic group?

Yes, a group of order 15 abelian is a cyclic group. This means that the group can be generated by a single element, or in other words, all the elements in the group can be obtained by repeatedly applying the group operation to a specific element. In this case, the element 1 is a generator of the group.

What are the applications of a group of order 15 abelian?

A group of order 15 abelian has many applications in mathematics, computer science, and physics. In mathematics, it is used in the study of number theory, abstract algebra, and geometry. In computer science, it is used in cryptography and coding theory. In physics, it is used in the study of symmetry and conservation laws.