1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group of order 35

1. Jul 10, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Does a group of order 35 contain an element of order 5? of order 7?

*I must prove all my answers.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not really sure how to prove this and could really use some hints. Here's what I've got so far:

Pf. Let [itex]G[/itex] be a group of order 35, and let [itex]x \in G[/itex] such that [itex]x \neq e[/itex], where [itex]e[/itex] is the identity element of [itex]G[/itex]. It follows from Lagrange's Thoerem that [itex]x[/itex] will be of order 5, 7, or 35. If [itex]x[/itex] is of order 35, then [itex]G[/itex] is cyclic and thus has elements of order 5 and 7.

So at this point, I want to suppose that [itex]x[/itex] doesn't have order 35. But since [itex]G[/itex] has 35 elements, the only other possibilities for the orders of the other nontrivial elements are either 5 or 7. Is this reasoning okay? Being optimistic, I will proceed and claim that each element [itex]x \in G[/itex] is of order 5. Then each [itex]x[/itex] generates an additional three unique elements: [itex]x, \, \, x^2, \, \, x^3[/itex]. But this would imply that the order of [itex]G[/itex] would be either 33 or 37 since elements of order 5 yield sets of four unique elements [itex]\{ x , \, \, x^2, \, \, x^3, \, \, x^4\}[/itex], a contradiction to the fact that [itex]|G| = 35[/itex]. Thus [itex]G[/itex] contains at least one element of order 7.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You have said, correctly, that G must have a member of order 5, 7, or 35. You have noted, correctly, that if it has a member of order 35, it must be cyclic and so have members of order 5 and 7.

Now, it G does not have a member or order 35, then it must have a member of order 5 or 7. Yes, assume, first, that there is a member of order 5. Can you then prove it must also have a member of order 7? Lastly assume there is a member of order 7. Can you then prove it must also have a member of order 5?

4. Jul 10, 2011 #3
    Yes, I believe I can. Is the part where I assumed all members of [itex]G[/itex] have an order 5 then showed that [itex]G[/itex] must contain element of order 7 correct? If so, I can play the same game again and suppose all members of [itex]G[/itex] have an order of 7 and show that this would imply the order of [itex]G[/itex] must be either 31 or 37; again a contradiction to the fact that [itex]|G|=35[/itex].

5. Jul 10, 2011 #4

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Are you allowed to use Sylow's theorems? If so, they might be useful here.

6. Jul 10, 2011 #5
    No, I am not allowed to use Sylow's theorems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook