1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group of order 5 abelian

1. Mar 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that a group of order 5 must be abelian.Please don't use Langrage's Theorem.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have been working on this problem for a while and I can't seem to
    get anywhere on it. Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The problem is that, without you showing any work at all, we don't know what you can and can't use. It is pretty well known that the only group of any prime order is the cyclic group, which is always Abelian, but are you allowed to use that?

4. Mar 30, 2009 #3
    This problem is from the first set of problems in Abstract Algebra(I N Herstein).Only the definitions of a group and abelian group are to be used in solving this problem and nothing else ,for these are the only things I came across in this book till now.

5. Mar 30, 2009 #4
    it looks like you will need to build your group up from scratch {e,x1,x2,x3,x4}

assume there is at least two elements x1 and x2 which do not commute and try to show we cannot form a group for all possible outcomes.
    I. x1*x2=e
    II. x1*x2=x1
    III. x1*x2=x2
    IV. x1*x2=x3
    V. x1*x2=x4

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook