1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group of rotations of S^n

1. Jan 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Group of rotations of S^1 = SO(2)=S^1 conincidently
    Group of rotations of S^2 = SO(3)
    Group of rotations of S^3 = SO(4)

3. The attempt at a solution
    SO(3) is the group of all rotations in R^3 so it can rotate all elements of S^2 which is part of R^3. Although I can't show it rigorously.

Would it be enough to say since SO(3) consists of all rotations in R^3, it can offcouse rotate all elements having unit distance from the origin.

Similar argument made to S^1 and S^3.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2008 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, the last two are not correct.

[tex]S^2 \cong SO \left( 3 \right) / SO \left( 2 \right)[/tex]

[tex]S^3 \cong SO \left( 4 \right) / SO \left( 3 \right) \cong SU \left( 2 \right)[/tex]

In general,

[tex]S^n \cong SO \left( n+1 \right) / SO \left( n \right)[/tex]

[tex]S^{2n + 1} \cong SU \left( n+1 \right) / SU \left( n \right).[/tex]

[edit] Sorry, I think I misunderstood what you wrote. Note that "=" should not be substituted for the word "is."

I think what you meant is something like the following.

Consider [itex]S^n[/itex] as a subset of [itex]\mathbb{R}^{n+1}[/itex]. Show that each element of [itex]SO \left( n+1 \right)[/itex] maps [itex]S^n[/itex] to [itex]S^n[/itex]. A general mapping from [itex]\mathbb{R}^{n+1}[/itex] to [itex]\mathbb{R}^{n+1}[/itex] might map an element of [itex]S^n[/itex] to an element of [itex]\mathbb{R}^{n+1}[/itex] that is not in [itex]S^n[/itex], so there is something "special" going on here.[/edit]
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  4. Jan 27, 2008 #3

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Continuing, let [itex]x[/itex] be an element of [itex]S^n[/itex], so [itex]x[/itex] is an element of [itex]\mathbb{R}^{n+1}[/itex] such that

[tex]x^T x = 1.[/tex]

Set [itex]y = Ax[/itex], with [itex]A[/itex] in [itex]SO \left( n+1 \right)[/itex], and calculate the length of [itex]y[/itex].
  5. Jan 30, 2008 #4

With this one, [tex]S^{2n + 1} \cong SU \left( n+1 \right) / SU \left( n \right).[/tex]

does it mean each coset representation is a matrix in SU(2)?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?