1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Group or not?

1. Jul 31, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [tex]n \geq 1[/tex] be a positive integer and let [tex]M_n = \{ 1,...,n \}[/tex] be a set with n elements. Denote by [tex]\mathcal{P} (M_n)[/tex] the set of all subsets of Mn. For example [tex]\mathcal{P} (M_2) = \{ \{ \emptyset \}, \{ 1 \}, \{ 2 \}, \{ 1,2 \} \}[/tex].

Show that [tex]C=(\mathcal{P} (M_n) , \cap)[/tex] and [tex]U=(\mathcal{P} (M_n) , \cup)[/tex] each has an identity. Decide whether C and U are groups.

3. The attempt at a solution

For [tex]C=(\mathcal{P} (M_n) , \cap)[/tex], let [tex]a,b,c \in \mathcal{P} (M_n)[/tex]

• Associativity: [tex](a \cap b) \cap c = a \cup (b \cap c)[/tex] [tex]\checkmark[/tex]
    • Identity: is the empty set => [tex]a \cap \emptyset = a[/tex] [tex]\checkmark[/tex]
    • Inverse: I can't see what's the inverse of this group! :frown: for an element a we need an inverse b such that [tex]a \cap b = \emptyset[/tex]. I think this is only true when a & b are completely distinct but I'm not sure...

Similarly [tex]U=(\mathcal{P} (M_n) , \cup)[/tex] satisfies the associativity and I think its identity is also [tex]\emptyset[/tex]. But what is the inverse??

I need help finding the inverses, and please let me know if the rest of my working is correct.
    Any help is really appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2010 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you don't understand it for all n, try special cases. Maybe continue with your n=2 example. That looks like a very small finite set -- you should be able to answer any particular question at all with a few seconds effort.

4. Jul 31, 2010 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First try and think clearly. I don't think a intersect {} is a, if that's what you mean to say. But you are right that there is a problem with inverses. They aren't groups.

5. Aug 2, 2010 #4
    Oops, I made a mistake! So, for [tex]C=(\mathcal{P} (M_n) , \cap)[/tex]

The identity for each element is itself, right? Because [tex]a \cap a = a[/tex]. Therefore the inverse for every element is also itself. So it's a group?

And for [tex]U=(\mathcal{P} (M_n) , \cup)[/tex]

[tex]A \cup \emptyset = A[/tex]. Therefore [tex]\emptyset[/tex] is the identity.

But what is the inverse? I need "b" such that [tex]a \cup b = \emptyset[/tex]. Even if there is no inverse, I guess I have to give some kind of explanation :confused:

6. Aug 2, 2010 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

No, there is a unique identity for a group, not a different "identity" for each member. Is there a single set, x, such that [itex]a\cap x= a[/itex] for every a? (Look at [itex]M_n[/itex] itself.)

If set A had and inverse, B, say, then you would have to have [itex]A\cup B= \emptyset[/itex]. How do the number of members of A and [itex]A\cup B[/itex] compare?

7. Aug 3, 2010 #6
    Yes, there is a single set, whenever n=1 then Mn has only one element. So the inverse of 1 is 1, it's also the identity. But this only true when n=1! So, [tex]C=(\mathcal{P} (M_n) , \cap)[/tex] not a group?

The only member of [tex]A\cup B[/tex] is the empty set whereas the number of members of A is greater than or equal to 1. But what does that prove? :confused:

8. Aug 3, 2010 #7

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

??? For any subset, A, of Mn, [itex]A\cap M_n= A[/itex].

It proves that the can't be equal! And since they must be the same set in order that B be "inverse" to A, there cannot be an inverse.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook