Understanding Group Orbits: A Wolfram Mathworld Example

In summary: Likewise, for a group, we would refer to the orbit of f as its image under the group action.In summary, the Wolfram's Mathworld example has 1 and 2 in the same orbit because they are the same permutation. 1 can get sent to either 2, 3 or 4, but 2 cannot get sent to 1.
Ryker
I just started learning about group orbits, and wanted to look it up online, because I needed some more clarification. However, stumbling upon this Wolfram's Mathworld entry, I ended up even more confused, especially after reading that example for the permutation group G1. Could someone perhaps explain to me how exactly it is that if [itex]G_{1} = \{(1234), (2134), (1243), (2143)\}[/itex], the orbits of 1 and 2 are {1, 2}? To me it seems that 1 can get sent to either 2, 3 or 4, but not to itself, and 2 to 1, 3 and 4, but I also know that orbits are either disjoint or equal, so I must not be getting something.

Physics news on Phys.org
Each of those four elements of the group is a permutation. 1 and 2 have the same orbit (1,2) because those permutations only map them only each other.

An orbit is an equivalence class (have you learned about equivalence relations or partitions?) Two objects are in the same orbit if the group can be used to turn one into another.

An example that shows up in combinatorics is the following:

Suppose you have a square and beads of three colors. How many distinguishable ways can you place the colored beads on the corners of the square? Two ways are indistinguishable if they are the same up to a rotation.

Our group is the rotation group, and our set is all the different combinations of colors. Two combinations are in the same orbit if we can use the rotation group to turn one into another. That is, they are the same if they are indistinguishable, which is exactly why orbits are useful for combinatorics.

alexfloo said:
Each of those four elements of the group is a permutation. 1 and 2 have the same orbit (1,2) because those permutations only map them only each other.
Hmm, how? That's what I don't get. I mean, (2 1 4 3) clearly sends 1 to 4, doesn't it, and (1 2 3 4) sends 2 to 3. Or what am I missing here?

it's a notation problem.

when the mathworld article says:

G1 = {(1234), (2134), (1243), (2143)}, they are not using cycle notation but rather image notation, so (1234) is the identity mapping on {1,2,3,4}.

in cycle notation, this group is: {e, (1 2), (3 4), (1 2)(3 4)}

this is NOT a rotation group, rather it is isomorphic to the klein 4-group (and thus a reflection group).

it should be clear that we have just two orbits: {1,2} and {3,4}.

a rotation group would be: {e, (1 2 3 4), (1 3)(2 4), (1 4 3 2)}. this group is transitive on the set {1,2,3,4}, and has just one orbit. it should be clear that this is the same (up to isomorphism) action we get by letting Z4 act on itself by left-multiplication:

0.x is the map x→0+x, which is clearly the identity map on {0,1,2,3}
1.x is the map x→1+x (mod 4), which is the 4-cycle (1 2 3 4) (using "4" instead of "0").

clearly k.x is the map x→k+x, which is the map x→1+x composed with itself k times.

a more interesting kind of orbit is given by the orbits of the action g.x = gxg-1, or conjugation. these orbits are called conjugacy classes.

for example, for the quaternion group Q8 = {1,-1,i,-i,j,-j,k,-k}, we have the orbits: {1}, {-1}, {i,-i}, {j,-j}, {k,-k}. the corresponding subgroup of S8, that this action on Q8 represents is:

{e, (3 4)(5 6), (5 6)(7 8), (3 4)(7 8)}, which is also isomorphic to the klein 4-group, which is another way of showing that:

Q8/Z(Q8) ≅ Z2 x Z2,

because the kernel of this action is the center of Q8.

Ah, I see, makes sense then. Why are they using this notation then, is this something that's widely accepted or is it just something only they are using? I would assume I wasn't the first, and am not going to be the last getting confused by it.

it's not that uncommon, especially with people who look at permutations as functions, rather than algebraic objects. it's common practice in much of mathematics to refer to a function f by its image f(x).

1. What is a group orbit?

A group orbit is a set of elements that can be transformed into each other by a common transformation in a group. It is a way of visualizing the symmetry properties of a group.

2. How is a group orbit represented?

A group orbit is often represented as a geometric shape, such as a circle, that is transformed into itself by a group action. In the case of the Wolfram Mathworld example, the group orbit is represented by a regular hexagon.

3. What is the significance of group orbits in mathematics?

Group orbits are important in mathematics because they provide a way to understand the symmetry properties of a group. They also have applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and computer science.

4. What is a stabilizer subgroup?

A stabilizer subgroup is a subgroup of a group that preserves a specific element in the group orbit. In other words, it is the set of transformations that leave a certain element unchanged.

5. How can understanding group orbits be useful in practical applications?

Understanding group orbits can be useful in practical applications because it allows for the identification and analysis of symmetrical properties in a system. This can be applied to fields such as crystallography, molecular biology, and computer graphics.