Can Z be Injected into <x,y:xyx=y> by a Homomorphism?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that there is no injective homomorphism from the group Z to the group <x,y:xyx=y>. The group Z has the presentation <x: no relations>, making it impossible to find any copies of Z in <x,y:xyx=y>. The conversation also considers using homomorphisms f(n)=x^n or g(n)=y^n as a possible solution, but it is determined that this may not be applicable to the problem at hand.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

Show that you cannot injectively take Z into <x,y:xyx=x> by a homomorphism.

EDIT:the presentation should be <x,y:xyx=y>

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am new to group presentation, can someone just give me a hint? Z has the presentation <x: no relations>. Is it true that any homomorphism has to take a relator to a relator? Then it is clearly impossible since Z has only one relator...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Fiddling around with the relation in the presentation will make it obvious.

See the EDIT.

Ah, so you're trying for an injective homomorphism [itex]G \rightarrow \mathbb Z[/itex].
Basically this is the same as saying that [itex]G[/itex] is isomorphic to a (not necessarily proper) subgroup of [itex]\mathbb Z[/itex].

N.B.: Regarding the bit about relators - consider that [itex]<x,y:x=y>[/itex] is clearly equivalent to [itex]\mathbb Z[/itex].

NateTG said:
Ah, so you're trying for an injective homomorphism [itex]G \rightarrow \mathbb Z[/itex].
Not really. I am trying to show that there is no injective homomorphism from Z to <x,y:xyx=y>. That is, I want to show that you cannot find any copies of Z in <x,y:xyx=y>.

ehrenfest said:
Not really. I am trying to show that there is no injective homomorphism from Z to <x,y:xyx=y>. That is, I want to show that you cannot find any copies of Z in <x,y:xyx=y>.

Hmm, I'm missing something then.
[tex]f: \mathbb{Z} \rightarrow G[/tex]
[tex]f(n)=x^n[/tex]
or
[tex]g(n)=y^n[/tex]
look like they are such homomorphisms.

Maybe you're right. I wanted to use this as a step in a different problem, but maybe I need to find another step.

What is a group presentation?

A group presentation is a collaborative effort in which multiple individuals work together to deliver a presentation on a specific topic or project. This involves dividing the workload, coordinating ideas, and presenting as a team.

How do I prepare for a group presentation?

To prepare for a group presentation, it is important to first establish clear roles and responsibilities for each member. Then, research and gather information on the topic, and create a cohesive outline or script. Practice and rehearse together to ensure a smooth and well-coordinated delivery.

What are the benefits of a group presentation?

A group presentation allows for a diverse range of perspectives and ideas to be shared, leading to a more well-rounded and comprehensive presentation. It also allows for the workload to be divided among team members, making it less stressful for each individual.

How do you handle conflicts within a group presentation?

Communication is key in handling conflicts within a group presentation. It is important to address any issues or concerns openly and respectfully, and work together to find a solution. It may also be helpful to designate a leader or mediator within the group to help resolve conflicts.

What are some tips for delivering a successful group presentation?

Some tips for delivering a successful group presentation include practicing and rehearsing together, using visual aids to enhance the presentation, and maintaining a consistent tone and pace. It is also important to actively engage with the audience and listen to feedback for improvement.