1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group presentation question

1. Jan 31, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that you cannot injectively take Z into <x,y:xyx=x> by a homomorphism.

EDIT:the presentation should be <x,y:xyx=y>
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am new to group presentation, can someone just give me a hint? Z has the presentation <x: no relations>. Is it true that any homomorphism has to take a relator to a relator? Then it is clearly impossible since Z has only one relator...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2008 #2

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Fiddling around with the relation in the presentation will make it obvious.

4. Jan 31, 2008 #3
    See the EDIT.

5. Jan 31, 2008 #4

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ah, so you're trying for an injective homomorphism [itex]G \rightarrow \mathbb Z[/itex].
    Basically this is the same as saying that [itex]G[/itex] is isomorphic to a (not necessarily proper) subgroup of [itex]\mathbb Z[/itex].

N.B.: Regarding the bit about relators - consider that [itex]<x,y:x=y>[/itex] is clearly equivalent to [itex]\mathbb Z[/itex].

6. Feb 1, 2008 #5
    Not really. I am trying to show that there is no injective homomorphism from Z to <x,y:xyx=y>. That is, I want to show that you cannot find any copies of Z in <x,y:xyx=y>.

7. Feb 1, 2008 #6

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hmm, I'm missing something then.
    [tex]f: \mathbb{Z} \rightarrow G[/tex]
    [tex]f(n)=x^n[/tex]
    or
    [tex]g(n)=y^n[/tex]
    look like they are such homomorphisms.

8. Feb 1, 2008 #7
    Maybe you're right. I wanted to use this as a step in a different problem, but maybe I need to find another step.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?