Is Zn a group under addition modulo n?

• Thread starter roger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary: However, Z_n is the set of integers modulo n, which is a different concept altogether. Z_n is the set of remainders when dividing any integer by n. It also forms a group under addition modulo n, as shown by the axioms mentioned in the conversation. In summary, the set Z_n of integers modulo n forms a group under addition modulo n, satisfying the axioms of closure, associativity, identity, and inverse.
roger
Hi,

Firstly I am not sure what a group is, after being given the 4 group axioms.

I'm not sure what relevance ''closure'' has ?

and my question is : how to show that for every natural number,n, the set Zn of integers modulo n forms a group under addition modulo n ?

I appreciate any guidance.

Thankyou very much.

Roger

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you are going to look at groups as separate objects themselves, then "closure" under the group operation is essential. For example, if a and b are members of the group G but a+ b isn't then we are faced with the question of just what do we mean by "a+ b" if we are only talking about G!

To prove that any collection of things with a given operation is a group, you need to show that the definition of "group", usually given as a collection of "axioms", is satisfied.

To show that "Zn of integers modulo n forms a group under addition modulo n" you first have to decide what things are in that set (there are, in fact, a few different ways of looking at this). Assuming that you mean {0, 1, 2,..., n-1} then you must show:
I) Closure: that if m and n are both integers between 0 and n-1 then 0+ (n-1) (mod n) is also an integer between 0 and n-1.
II) Associativity: that (m+ n)+r= m+ (n+ r) (mod n)
(This is not just moving parentheses. The operation is defined on two objects at a time (m+n)+ r involves quite a different calculation than m+ (n+r).)
III) Identity: that there exist one member of the set, O, such that n+O= n for all n in the set.
IV) Inverse: that for any x in the set, there exist a y such that x+y= O.

thanks Hallsoivy,

I don't actually know what the terms ''Zn of integers modulo n'' and '' addition modulo n" mean ?

and I am not sure how to find the elements of the set ?

and what is the difference in calculation for associativity exactly ?

I) Closure: that if m and n are both integers between 0 and n-1 then 0+ (n-1) (mod n) is also an integer between 0 and n-1.

What do you mean by this ?

roger said:
thanks Hallsoivy,
I don't actually know what the terms ''Zn of integers modulo n'' and '' addition modulo n" mean ?
and I am not sure how to find the elements of the set ?
and what is the difference in calculation for associativity exactly ?
What do you mean by this ?

Then you do have a problem! The reason I asked about "deciding what things are in the set" is that there are a couple of different (but equivalent) ways of defining "Zn". The simplest is to take {0, 1, 2, ...,n-1} as the elements, then define "a+ b (mod) n" to be "the remainder when a+b is divided by n". For example, in Z5, the elements are {0, 1, 2, 3, 4}
4+ 4 (mod) 5 = 3 because 4+4= 8 and 8= 5+ 3. Notice that, although 8 is greater than 5, "8 (mod 5)" is one of {0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5}. That's what we mean by "closure". We don't go outside the set we are looking at.

It should be clear that 0 is the group identity in Zn: n+ 0= n and since n is already less than n, you don't need to worry about the "mod" part.
What about "negatives" (additive inverse). If we were talking about Z5, 3+ 2= 5 which has remainder 0 when divided by 5 so 3+ 2= 0 (mod 5). What "x" gives 4+ x= 0 (mod 5)? (In other words, what x gives 4+ x= 5?)
Can you generalize that to any Zn?

Associativity comes down to this:

suppose we have some way of composing two elements of something we want to test for "groupiness", then there are two ways one can bracket the a priori undefined object fgh as (fg)h or f(gh) are the same so that the symbol fgh is unambiguous.

Example: additoin we all know that doing (2+3)+4 is the same as doing 2+(3+4)

Counter example: subtraction is not associative. We know that the symbol a-b-c is not strictly well defined in the sense that

(1-1)-1

and

1-(1-1)

give different answers.

The best way to show something is associative is to appeal to the fact that the objects you're composing are derived from some other group where we know associativty holds. In the case of mod n arithmetic we can use the fact that addition in the integers is associative (which is true by fiat) to conclude it passes down to associativity for Z_n

Note the subscript: it is important. Zn is striclty different from Z_n in a fundamental way in the standard usages of these terms. Zn is usually the set of (integer) multiples of n inside Z. This too is a group.

1. Is Zn a group under addition modulo n?

Yes, Zn (the set of integers from 0 to n-1) forms a group under addition modulo n. This means that the operation of addition is well-defined and satisfies the four group axioms: closure, associativity, identity, and inverse.

2. What does it mean for Zn to be a group under addition modulo n?

It means that the set of integers from 0 to n-1, when operated under addition modulo n, follows certain properties that make it a group. This includes closure (the result of the operation is always within the set), associativity (the order in which operations are performed does not matter), identity (there exists a neutral element), and inverse (every element has an inverse).

3. How is addition modulo n different from regular addition?

In regular addition, the result can be any integer. In addition modulo n, the result is restricted to the set of integers from 0 to n-1. This means that if the result of regular addition is greater than n-1, it will "wrap around" and subtract n until it falls within the set. For example, 8+6=14 in regular addition, but 8+6=4 in addition modulo 10.

4. Why is it important to have groups in mathematics?

Groups are important in mathematics because they allow us to study and understand the properties of certain operations or structures. They are used to describe symmetry, patterns, and relationships in many areas of mathematics, including algebra, geometry, and number theory.

5. Can Zn be a group under multiplication modulo n?

No, Zn cannot form a group under multiplication modulo n. While it satisfies the closure and associativity axioms, it fails to have an identity element (0 does not have a multiplicative inverse) and not every element has an inverse (e.g. 2 and 5 have no multiplicative inverse modulo 10).