Groups of Even Order Containing Odd Number of Elements of Order 2

In summary, the conversation discusses a theorem linking the order of elements in a finite group to the order of the group. It also mentions constructing a group with an even number of elements and an even number of elements of order 2, and the importance of the Lagrange's theorem in this context. The conversation also includes a discussion on the cosets of a subgroup, with a clarification of the terminology used. Finally, the conversation mentions a proof of a theorem on page 31 of a book being confusing, and a clarification of the proof is provided.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Show that if G is a finite group of even order, then G has an odd number
of elements of order 2.

I'd appreciate a tip or two. I really don't see how the order of the elements of a group is linked to the order of that group.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a very important theorem linking the order of the elements of a finite group to the order of the group, so I imagine you haven't gotten that far in your class yet!

I like to experiment when I don't know what to do. Try constructing a group with an even number of elements and an even number of elements of order 2.

Well the multiplicative group made up of {e,a,b,c,d,f} where e is the identity, so o(e) = 1. We chose the rest so that o(a) = o(b) = 2 and o(c), o(d), o(f) > 2. I can't think of anything that makes this impossible.

btw, I'm using this book as a teacher: http://www.math.miami.edu/~ec/book/ and the question is on page 31.

I can - the group has order 6. There are exactly two groups of order 6 and neither has exactly two elements of order 2. The group structure prevents this from happening. I
You must specify what ab is, as well as cd etc and in doing so you'll see that you must create another element of order 2, in one case, or that there can only be one element of order 2 in the other.

Thnik like this: there is the identity, the elements of order 2 and we can pair up all the other elements like {x,x^{-1}} so the group contains 1+2n+m elements where n is the number of pairs of the form {x,x^{-1]} and m is the number of elements of order 2.

Now, if a group has an element of order 2 hopefully you know that the group must have an even number of elements (lagrange's theorem). What can you do now?

Hi matt grime,

It seems to me that the equation o(G) = 1+2n+m alone gives the conclusion. If o(G) is even, then necessarily, m is odd, qed. no?

I'm stuck again already! :mad:

I don't understand the proof of the last theorem of pp.31. He jumps directly from a trivial statement to the conclusion of the proof: Let m be the smallest integer with 0 < m < n and [itex]a^m \in[/itex] H. Then m|n and a^m generates H.

How does this implies that m|n ?

(Using the same variables as in the book). Suppose a^t is in H. We can write t = qm + r with q, r integers and 0 <= r < m (the division algorithm). Note that a^(mq) = (a^m)^q is in H, and since H was a subgroup, a^(-mq) must also be in H. Thus a^t * a^(-mq) = a^(qm + r) * a^(-mq) = a^(qm + r - mq) = a^r is in H. But r was smaller than m, so r can't be strictly positive (it would break the "minimality" of m). Thus r = 0 and t = qm, i.e. m divides t.

And since a^n = e and e is in H, then m|n.

Strange that evidence for the fact that m|n comes logically AFTER we have proved that a^m generates H, while the book states it first. Anyway, thanks again Muzza.

quasar987 said:
Hi matt grime,

It seems to me that the equation o(G) = 1+2n+m alone gives the conclusion. If o(G) is even, then necessarily, m is odd, qed. no?

yes, but do you know that o(G) is even? it is but you should state why it must be even.

yes, but do you know that o(G) is even? it is but you should state why it must be even.

Are we reading the same problem? Let me quote the first post:

Show that if G is a finite group of even order, ...

sorry forgot that part of it

This question sounds strange: "Suppose G is the additive group [itex]\mathbb{Z}[/itex] and H = 3[itex]\mathbb{Z}[/itex]: Find the cosets of H."

Doesn't the cosets of H depend on the sub-group one choses to "generate" them? For exemple, if I chose the trivial subgroup H, then the cosets are just H itself. If I chose [itex]H_6 = \{6i |i\in \mathbb{Z}\}[/itex], then the cosets are [itex]H_6[/itex] and [itex]3+H_6[/itex], etc.

But you were /given/ H, there's nothing to choose there...

Last edited:
Oh, so by "cosets of H" they mean "the cosets making up a partition of G which are generated by H". This is a very bad term.

no, it is a good term. 3Z is exactly what you would call H_3. i think you don't understand the terminology since you could do it for 6Z which you called H_6, but think it is bad for 3Z.

Could you explain the terminology then please?

the cosets of 3Z in Z awhich we'll denote [0], [1], and [2] ie there are three cosets. [0]=3Z, [1]={3n+1, n in Z) and [2] is the set {3n+2, n in Z}

i fail to see where you're struggling, since it is just a definition - what do you find difficult about the terminology?

Nothing, I tought I had understood it, but then you said I didn't understood the terminology:

matt grime said:
i think you don't understand the terminology

But what you said is what I tought it was after Muzza gave his "hint". But thanks for further clarifying that for me matt. I still think it's a bad term though :wink: .

Last edited:
Seeing as you said that you could do the question for "H_6" but not for "3Z" i stand by the fact you don't udnerstand the terminology (ie what 3Z is not what a coset is) since 3Z is H_3 in your terminology. this wasn't about cosets. it was about H.

k

--------------

What does "Groups of Even Order Containing Odd Number of Elements of Order 2" mean?

This refers to a mathematical concept where a group, which is a set of elements with a defined operation, has an even number of elements and an odd number of elements that have an order of 2, meaning they can be multiplied by themselves and still result in the identity element.

What is the significance of this type of group?

Groups of this type have unique properties and can be used in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as in the study of symmetry, geometry, and physics.

Can you give an example of a group that fits this description?

One example is the dihedral group, denoted as Dn, which is a group of symmetries of a regular n-sided polygon. It has an even order of 2n and an odd number of elements of order 2.

How are these groups different from other groups?

Groups of even order containing an odd number of elements of order 2 have a specific structure and properties that distinguish them from other types of groups. For example, they always have a subgroup of elements of order 2 and a normal subgroup of elements of order 2.

What are the applications of studying these groups?

These groups play a significant role in abstract algebra, group theory, and other areas of mathematics. They also have practical applications in cryptography, coding theory, and quantum mechanics.