Proving Existence of g in a Finite Group of Even Order

In summary: I'm saying the following: If G has order p, then there exists an element a in G that has order p. So \{1,a,a^2,...,a^{p-1}\} has p elements and is a subset of G. Since G also has p elements, we must have G=\{1,a,a^2,...,a^{p-1}\}. So G is... cyclic?You're getting close, but you still need to show that a has order p.
rideabike

Homework Statement

Let (G,*) be a finite group of even order. Prove that there exists some g in G such that g≠e and g*g=e. [where e is the identity for (G,*)]

Homework Equations

Group properties

The Attempt at a Solution

Let S = G - {e}. Then S is of odd order, and let T={g,g^-1: g[itex]\in[/itex]S}.
Then [itex]\exists[/itex]h[itex]\in[/itex]S such that h[itex]\notin[/itex]T. Since G is a group, h*h must equal e.

Does that work?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a good idea here, nearly perfect, but the last step seems not obvious at first. Who says that h*h must be equal to e? All we know (since G is a group) is that h*h must lie in G. To show that h*h = e, you also need h∉S. (Then h*h ∈ G - S = {e}.)

rideabike said:
Let S = G - {e}. Then S is of odd order, and let T={g,g^-1: g[itex]\in[/itex]S}.
Then [itex]\exists[/itex]h[itex]\in[/itex]S such that h[itex]\notin[/itex]T.
How is that possible? You have defined T in such a way that [itex]S \subset T[/itex]. You have the right idea, though. If you partition G such that each element of g is partnered with its inverse, then e will be partnered with itself. If you assume that no other element has this property, then you should be able to obtain a contradiction.

Michael Redei said:
You have a good idea here, nearly perfect, but the last step seems not obvious at first. Who says that h*h must be equal to e? All we know (since G is a group) is that h*h must lie in G. To show that h*h = e, you also need h∉S. (Then h*h ∈ G - S = {e}.)

If h[itex]\notin[/itex]S, then h=e, which isn't what we want. I was trying to show that if you take all the elements and their inverses out of S, then you're left with a single element whose inverse must be itself. There's probably a better way to show this.

How about collecting all elements that aren't their own inverses in one set, i.e. S = { g∈G : g-1≠g }. Then for any element x∈G, either x ∈ G - S, or x and x-1 are both in S. "Both" is important here, since it means that S has an even number of elements.

So what's left in G - S?

Michael Redei said:
How about collecting all elements that aren't their own inverses in one set, i.e. S = { g∈G : g-1≠g }. Then for any element x∈G, either x ∈ G - S, or x and x-1 are both in S. "Both" is important here, since it means that S has an even number of elements.

So what's left in G - S?

That's good, thanks!

It might be interesting for the OP that this result has a significant generalization: If G is a group and if p is a prime number such that p divides the order of G, then there exists an element g in G with order p.

This is called Cauchy's theorem.

micromass said:
It might be interesting for the OP that this result has a significant generalization: If G is a group and if p is a prime number such that p divides the order of G, then there exists an element g in G with order p.

This is called Cauchy's theorem.

So |x|[itex]\in[/itex]G = p? Would this relate to a group being cyclic?

rideabike said:
So |x|[itex]\in[/itex]G = p? Would this relate to a group being cyclic?

I don't really get your notation of [itex]|x|\in G=p[/itex] :confused:

I mean to say that there exists a [itex]x\in G[/itex] such that [itex]|x|=p[/itex] (assuming |x| means order for you).

If G has prime order, then this result shows indeed that there exists an element in G with prime order. So G must be cyclic. Is this a relationship that you are talking about?

Yeah that's exactly it, I was being sloppy. My understanding of a cyclic group is that there exists some element of G, say a, such that, for every x in G, x=a^n for some integer n.

How does this follow from |x|=p?

rideabike said:
Yeah that's exactly it, I was being sloppy. My understanding of a cyclic group is that there exists some element of G, say a, such that, for every x in G, x=a^n for some integer n.

It doesn't follow in general.

I'm saying the following: If G has order p, then there exists an element a in G that has order p. So [itex]\{1,a,a^2,...,a^{p-1}\}[/itex] has p elements and is a subset of G. Since G also has p elements, we must have [itex]G=\{1,a,a^2,...,a^{p-1}\}[/itex]. So G is cyclic.

rideabike said:

Look at all elements of the form xn with n=0,...,(p-1). If you can show that they're all distinct (i.e. xn ≠ xm if n ≠ m), then these p elements must make up all of G.

1. What is the significance of proving the existence of g in a finite group of even order?

The existence of g in a finite group of even order is crucial in understanding the structure and properties of the group. It allows for the application of various theorems and techniques in group theory, and can provide insight into the behavior of the group's elements.

2. How is the existence of g determined in a finite group of even order?

The existence of g can be determined by using the theorem that states that if a finite group G has even order, then it must contain an element of order 2. This element, denoted as g, will have the property that g^2 = e, where e is the identity element of the group.

3. Can the existence of g in a finite group of even order be proven for all cases?

Yes, the existence of g can be proven for all cases of finite groups with even order. This is because the theorem mentioned above holds true for all such groups, regardless of their specific structure or elements.

4. Are there any other methods to prove the existence of g in a finite group of even order?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to prove the existence of g in a finite group of even order. Some of these methods include using Lagrange's theorem, Cauchy's theorem, and Sylow's theorems. These theorems provide different ways to approach the problem and can be used in conjunction with each other.

5. How does the existence of g impact the properties of a finite group of even order?

The existence of g can greatly impact the properties of a finite group of even order. For example, it can determine whether the group is abelian or non-abelian, and can also affect the number of subgroups and elements in the group. Additionally, the existence of g can help in determining the isomorphism class of the group and its relationship to other groups.