Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group symmetry of Hamiltonian

1. Dec 17, 2013 #1
    ##H=-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2}{dx^2}+\frac{1}{2}m\omega^2x^2##
    Parity
    ##Px=-x##
    end ##e## neutral are group of symmetry of Hamiltonian.
    ## PH=H##
    ##eH=H##
    so I said it is group of symmetry because don't change Hamiltonian? And ##e## and ##P## form a group under multiplication. Is there any way to right some representation of this group? Thx for the answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2013 #2

ChrisVer

Gold Member

what is [itex]e[/itex]?
    Your representation depends on the space it acts. For example the parity when acting on the 4 Lorentz vectors in Minkowski space can be represented by diag[1,-1,-1,-1].
    On three dim space, it is still diag[-1,-1,-1] so I guess the parity for that is equivalent to [itex]Z_{2}[/itex] so that's why in the Harmonic oscillator you give, your Hamiltonian eigenstates to that of the parity, are the same and they are conserved (being either cosine or sinus )
    I am not sure, but I also somehow think it corresponds to the reflections (although it's not the group itself).

So to write a representation, you have to define the vector space the representation acts on.

4. Dec 17, 2013 #3
    ##e## is neutral.
    ##e^2=e##
    This iz ##Z_2## group.
    Hamiltonian eigenstates are Hermite functions.
    So could I say that ##H## is invariant under ##Z_2##?

5. Dec 17, 2013 #4

ChrisVer

Gold Member

the identity ok.
    Hermite funcs are funcs of fixed parity as well...
    I'm not sure if you can, personally I'd prefer saying parity...

6. Dec 18, 2013 #5
    I'm just confused what I have now when I know that ##\{e,P\}## is symmetry group of Hamiltonian? I know that ##PH=HP=H##. So ##[P,H]=0##. Right?

7. Dec 19, 2013 #6
    Note that PH (or HP) is not H! Your mistake is that you are acting P on (just) H, but the way you should interpret "PH" is as follows: for any function f, PH is defined as (PH)(f) := P(Hf). And note that for general functions f, P(Hf) won't be the same as Hf! Hence PH is not H.

What is true, however, is indeed [P,H] = 0. Why? Well, again that statement is equivalent to "for any f, [P,H]f = 0", and this is true, because
    [itex]PH f(x) = P \left[ \left( \alpha \frac{\mathrm d^2}{\mathrm d x^2} + \beta x^2 \right) f(x)\right] = \left( \alpha \frac{\mathrm d^2}{\mathrm d (-x)^2} + \beta (-x)^2 \right) f(-x) = \left( \alpha \frac{\mathrm d^2}{\mathrm d x^2} + \beta x^2 \right) f(-x) = \left( \alpha \frac{\mathrm d^2}{\mathrm d x^2} + \beta x^2 \right) P f(x) = HP f(x) [/itex]

The value in knowing [P,H] = 0, is that now you know the eigenstates of H are eigenstates of P. Why? Well suppose f is an eigenstate of H, i.e. Hf = Ef.
    Then the claim is [itex]Pf = \pm f[/itex]. To see this, note that [itex]E Pf = P E f = P Hf = HP f[/itex], but this means Pf is an eigenstate of H with eigenvalue E. If we assume there is only one for every energy, then Pf has to be proportional to f! (and it's clear any eigenvalue of P has to square to 1)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook