Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group theory and Rubik's cube

1. Jul 19, 2005 #1
    I've always been fascinated by Rubik's cube. I have developed solutions for it and
    all the related cubes 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, 5x5. For me the cube it is to group theory
    (of a partcular type of group) what a slide rule is to real arithmetic. Even "laboratory"
    might not be too stong a label for it.

For example it's immediately obvious how [tex] xy \neq yx [/tex]. If you turn the front of the cube
    and then the right you get a very different set of faces than the right followed by front.
    Also, you can discover marvelous "operators" (my terminology) by doing some random
    series of twists (abc) followed by a particular twist (Z) then undoing the first
    twists (via cba), that is: abcZcba where the letters stand for some particular oriented
    twist. What happens is that most of the cube is unperturbed except for some
    marvelous little permutation like a twisted corner in place or three swapped edges.

My solutions then consist of applying these "operators" in sequence by inspection
    to see which one is "needed" next.

Alas however, I am not formally trained in group theory and I would like
    to know: How would one go about using GT to develop a more effective
    or efficient solution to something like Rubik's cube? I know it has been
    done, but my question is very specifically: Can anyone explain to the group theory novice
    (but Rubik's cube expert) how one would actually go about using GT to
    devise (more) efficient solutions to such a puzzle?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2005 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

find the book by dik winter.

4. Jul 19, 2005 #3
    Thanks....

5. Jul 19, 2005 #4
    Hello Antiphoton,

you could contact Chris Hardwick, he is a speedcuber and interested in math too. Go to
    www.speedcubing.com > Chris Hardwick's Corner > at the bottom is his e-mail.

Also try the Yahoo Speedcubing group. I'm sure there are also some math interested people there:
    http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/speedsolvingrubikscube/
    (You have to sign up and join the group).

P.S. By the way, what's your 3x3 average time?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2005
  6. Jul 19, 2005 #5
    Never really measured it, but I think maybe 1+ minutes. I'm more interested
    in optimality (number of turns) and coming up with novel
    operators (i.e. combinations of turns which do something interesting.)

7. Jul 19, 2005 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?