Group Theory and Social Groups.

In summary: But I think it would be fun to model a group of people as a graph, with the members connected by lines that represent their relationships. In summary, Group theory is a way of thinking about social interactions and relationships.
rmas
Hi,
I have a question related to Group Theory and its interpretation from a social point of view.
if we suppose, that a group of Humans can be considered as an algebraic structure : a group (G,◦) with a set of elements and a set of axioms like closure, associativity, identity and invertibility.
How can we describe ◦ and the axioms in term of interactions and relations between humans (socially)
I was wondering if someone can give me an idea about this subject, or some pointers if it was already treated.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Would this work? It's just something that occurred to me a few weeks ago when I was first learning about groups. Let f stand for "friend", and e for "enemy", and * for "of my". We know that the enemy of my enemy is my friend, and of course the friend of my friend is my friend, and the friend of my enemy is my enemy...

e * e = f
e * f = e
f * f = f
f * e = e

So we have closure. This structure is associative:

f * (e * e) = f * f = f
(f * e) * e = e * e = f

(f * f) * e = f * e = e
f * (f * e) = f * e = e

e * (f * e) = e * e = f
(e * f) * e = e * e = f

f * (e * f) = f * e = e
(f * e) * f = e * f = e

Notice that friend is the identity element, and that the inverse of enemy is enemy because

e * e = f

and the inverse of friend is friend because

f * f = f.

So I reckon that makes a group, and an abelian group at that since we also have commutativity.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is group theory?

Group theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of groups, which are sets of objects that can be combined together in a specific way. In social sciences, group theory is used to analyze the behavior and interactions of individuals within a group, and how the group as a whole functions.

2. How is group theory applied in social sciences?

Group theory is often used in social sciences to understand the dynamics of social groups, such as families, organizations, and communities. It can help explain how individuals interact within a group, how group norms and roles are formed, and how group decision-making processes work.

3. What are the key concepts in group theory?

The main concepts in group theory include group structure, group dynamics, group cohesion, and group identity. Group structure refers to the patterns of relationships and interactions within a group, while group dynamics refers to the processes that influence the behavior of individuals within the group. Group cohesion refers to the level of unity and cooperation within a group, and group identity refers to the shared beliefs, values, and norms that define the group.

4. How does group theory explain social influence?

Group theory explains social influence as the power that group members have over each other to conform to group norms and expectations. This can include pressure to conform, social rewards for following group norms, and punishment for deviating from them. Group theory also examines how individuals can resist or challenge group influence.

5. What is the difference between a social group and a social network?

A social group is a collection of individuals who interact with each other, share a common identity, and have a sense of belonging. A social network, on the other hand, refers to the relationships and connections between individuals or groups. While a social group focuses on the individuals within it, a social network looks at the patterns of connections between individuals or groups.