Is every diagonalizable representation of a group reducible?

In summary, a representation is reducible if there exists an invariant subspace. This implies that all representations, which are matrices (GL(N,K)), are reducible if they are block-diagonalizable, which is a more general condition than diagonalizability. However, for an abelian group, block-diagonalization is equivalent to diagonalization due to Schur's lemma. The converse may also be true as demonstrated by the fact that the number of distinct conjugate classes in a group with all one-dimensional representations is equal to the order of the group, implying that the group must be abelian. Additionally, one-dimensional representations imply commutativity of the group, making it impossible for non-abelian groups to have one-dimensional representations
Faust90
Hey folks,

I'm trying to dip into group theory and got now some questions about irreducibility.

A representation D(G) is reducibel iff there is an invariant subspace.

Do this imply now that every representation (which is a matrix (GL(N,K)) is reducibel if it is diagonalizable?Best regards

Physics news on Phys.org
It should block-diagonalizable which is more general than only being diagonalizable. A block-diagonal matrix, is a square matrix that can be thought of as having square matrices in its main diagonal and all other elements being zero. Then each block in the main diagonal is itself a representation.

Shyan is right, when you want find the irreducible representation you should block diagonalize. Only when your group is abelian block diagonalize is equivalent to diagonalize because, as you can prove using the Schur's lemma, all the irreducible representations of any abelian group must be of dimension one.

Andrea M. said:
Shyan is right, when you want find the irreducible representation you should block diagonalize. Only when your group is abelian block diagonalize is equivalent to diagonalize because, as you can prove using the Schur's lemma, all the irreducible representations of any abelian group must be of dimension one.
Is there any non-abelian group with all of its representations being one dimensional? i.e. is the converse true?

Hey,

thanks for your answers! :)
I'm not actually sure if I understand this right.

Does block-diagonalizability implies diagonalizability or is it the other way round?

Best regards :)

Faust90 said:
Hey,

thanks for your answers! :)
I'm not actually sure if I understand this right.

Does block-diagonalizability implies diagonalizability or is it the other way round?

Best regards :)

Being diagonal is a special case of being block-diagonal so all diagonal matrices are block-diagonal but not all block-diagonal matrices are diagonal!

Shyan said:
Is there any non-abelian group with all of its representations being one dimensional? i.e. is the converse true?
I think the converse il also true. Indeed we know that the dimensionality parameters ##n_{\mu}## for the inequivalent irreducible representation satisfy
$$\sum_{\mu}n_{\mu}^2=n_{G}$$
where ##n_{G}## is the order of the group. This implies that, if all the representation is one dimensional, the number of inequivalent representation must be equal to the order of the group. But we also know that the number of inequivalent representation of any finite (or compact) group is equal to the number of distinct conjugate class of G, so each element of G must be conjugate to itself so the group is abelian(?).
I'm not shire about the last step, i will think about it. Any suggestion is welcome :)

Faust90 said:
Thanks! :)

but then I'm a bit confused. For example, when I have a look at the D_n group and the representation of it.

http://groupprops.subwiki.org/wiki/Linear_representation_theory_of_dihedral_groups

I know that this representation is irreducible but I could diagonalize all of these matrices?

Best regards!
Are you sure that you could diagonalize with the same basis all the matrix of the representation?

Andrea M. said:
I think the converse il also true. Indeed we know that the dimensionality parameters ##n_{\mu}## for the inequivalent irreducible representation satisfy
$$\sum_{\mu}n_{\mu}^2=n_{G}$$
where ##n_{G}## is the order of the group. This implies that, if all the representation is one dimensional, the number of inequivalent representation must be equal to the order of the group. But we also know that the number of inequivalent representation of any finite (or compact) group is equal to the number of distinct conjugate class of G, so each element of G must be conjugate to itself so the group is abelian(?).
I'm not shire about the last step, i will think about it. Any suggestion is welcome :)

I was missing something. Representations of a group should provide entities associated to the group elements and a composition law on them, such that they implement the structure of the group. But one dimensional representations are numbers and all numbers we have, with the usual products, are commutative so non-abelian groups can't have one dimensional representations, at least not until we find a composition law on some kind of numbers that is non-abelian.
I should say that I don't understand what you mean by "dimensionality parameters" and "order of the group".(It seems by order of the group, you don't mean its set's cardinality and I know no other meaning!)

To Faust: diagonal means having non-zero elements only on the main diagonal so [itex] \left( \begin{array}{cc} 0 \ \ a \\ b \ \ 0 \end{array} \right) [/itex] is not diagonal.

Last edited:
Shyan said:
I should say that I don't understand what you mean by "dimensionality parameters" and "order of the group".(It seems by order of the group, you don't mean its set's cardinality and I know no other meaning!)
By "dimensionality parameters" and "order of the group" i mean respectively the dimension of the representation and of the group.
Shyan said:
Representations of a group should provide entities associated to the group elements and a composition law on them, such that they implement the structure of the group. But one dimensional representations are numbers and all numbers we have, with the usual products, are commutative so non-abelian groups can't have one dimensional representations, at least not until we find a composition law on some kind of numbers that is non-abelian.
I think you are right. If all the representations are one-dimensional the commutativity of the group follows from the definition of representation.

1. What is group theory?

Group theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and structures of groups, which are sets of elements that have a well-defined mathematical operation and satisfy certain axioms.

2. What are the basic concepts of group theory?

The basic concepts of group theory include group operations, identity elements, inverses, and subgroups. Group operations refer to the mathematical operations that can be performed on the elements of a group. Identity elements are elements that when combined with any other element in the group, result in that element. Inverses are elements that, when combined with another element, result in the identity element. Subgroups are subsets of a group that have all the properties of a group.

3. What is the significance of group theory?

Group theory has many applications in mathematics, physics, chemistry, and other fields. It helps in understanding the symmetry of objects, the structure of molecules, and the behavior of particles. It also plays a crucial role in cryptography and coding theory.

4. What are the different types of groups?

There are several types of groups, including finite and infinite groups, abelian and non-abelian groups, cyclic and non-cyclic groups, and permutation groups. Finite groups have a finite number of elements, while infinite groups have an infinite number of elements. Abelian groups have commutative operations, while non-abelian groups do not. Cyclic groups are generated by a single element, while non-cyclic groups are not. Permutation groups are groups that consist of permutations of a set of elements.

5. How is group theory related to other branches of mathematics?

Group theory is closely related to other branches of mathematics, such as abstract algebra, number theory, and geometry. It provides a framework for understanding the algebraic structures of various mathematical objects, including numbers, polynomials, and geometric figures. It also has connections to other areas, such as topology and differential equations.