1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group theory hints?

1. Feb 28, 2009 #1
    Hi everyone
    This is the same question as was asked about in this topic, but I can't post in that one (presumably because it's archived?)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose G is a group with |G| = 4n+2. Show that there is a subgroup H < G such that |H| = 2n + 1. Use Cauchy's theorem, Cayley's theorem and the fact that any subgroup of [itex]S_n[/itex] has either all of its elements or precisely half of its elements being even.

2. Relevant equations

Cayley: Every group G is a subgroup of [itex]S_|_G_|[/itex].

Cauchy: If G is a finite group & P [tex]\in[/tex] N is prime with P | |G|, then G contains an element of order P.

3. The attempt at a solution

Cayley [tex]\Rightarrow G \leq[/tex] [itex]S_4_n_+_2[/itex] [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] all or half of its elements are even (*)

Cauchy [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] G contains an element of order 2 (since 2 | 4n+2)
    [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] G contains an element that's a product of disjoint transpositions.

Suppose G contains an element that's a product of an odd number of disjoint transpositions. (**)
    [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] Half the elements in G are even, by (*), i.e. 2n+1 of them are even.
    These 2n+1 elements form a group (since they're even, their products are even, their inverses are even, and 1 is even), which is a subgroup of G with order 2n+1.

... So what I need to do now is show that G contains an element that's a product of an odd number of disjoint transpositions, i.e. prove that (**) is true.
    And that's where I'm stuck... I have no idea what to do.. Can I have a nudge in the right direction?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted