Group theory in GR and quantum gravity

In summary, the conversation discusses questions regarding the gauge group and abstract groups that represent Riemann curvature tensors and metric tensors in GR. It also touches on the Lorentz group and conformal group, as well as the difficulty in developing the Hamiltonian formalism for classical gravity. Some resources mentioned for further study include works by Dirac and the ADM formalism.
alexh110
In trying to get my head round GR and quantum gravity, I'm puzzled about the following questions:

Is the gauge group for gravity defined as the set of all possible Weyl tensors on a general 4D Riemann manifold? Which abstract group maps onto this set? Is it GL(4) or a subgroup of GL(4)? How do you derive the number of gravitational force bosons from the gauge group structure?

Which abstract groups represent all possible Riemann curvature tensors, and all possible metric tensors?

What is the equivalent of the Lorentz group for GR?
I.e. the group of transformations between all possible reference frames.

How is all of this connected with the conformal group? What is the purpose of conformal invariance?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
...if you thought those questions were too difficult,lemme ask you,guys,something easier to answer.
Classical gravity,described by Hilbert-Einstein action,is the only gauge theory for which i can't develop(and that's because i don't know)the Hamiltonian formalism at a classical level.
Will someone be so kind to give me any ideas??

Originally posted by dextercioby
...if you thought those questions were too difficult,lemme ask you,guys,something easier to answer.
Classical gravity,described by Hilbert-Einstein action,is the only gauge theory for which i can't develop(and that's because i don't know)the Hamiltonian formalism at a classical level.
Will someone be so kind to give me any ideas??

In order to do Hamiltonian mechanics in GR you have to split time from space, which means you are not even Lorentz covariant, let alone generally covariant. Nevertheless there are efforts to do this. MTW references two works by Dirac:

"Fixation of coordinates in the Hamiltonian theory of Gravitation" Phys Rev 114, 924-930 (and citations therein)

Lectures on Quantum Mechanics, Belfer Graduate School of Science Monograph Series Number two, Yeshiva University, New York, 1964 (and citations)

In spite of the title, the latter book apparently has a description of Dirac's Hamiltonian theory of Gravitation.

You might also google on the ADM formalism (Arnowitt, Deser, & Misner).

Last edited:

1. What is group theory and why is it important in general relativity and quantum gravity?

Group theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of groups, which are mathematical objects that describe symmetries and transformations. In general relativity and quantum gravity, group theory is important because it helps us understand the symmetries and transformations of the underlying space-time and matter fields, which are crucial for developing a consistent theory.

2. How does group theory relate to the concept of gauge symmetry?

Gauge symmetry is a type of symmetry in which the laws of physics remain unchanged under certain transformations. In general relativity and quantum gravity, gauge symmetry is closely related to group theory, as gauge transformations can be described by elements of a group. Group theory provides a powerful framework for understanding gauge symmetry and its implications for physical theories.

3. What are some specific applications of group theory in general relativity and quantum gravity?

Group theory has been used to study the symmetries of black holes, to develop models of quantum gravity based on symmetry principles, and to investigate the behavior of matter fields in curved space-time. It has also been used to study the symmetries of the fundamental forces and particles in the Standard Model of particle physics.

4. Are there any challenges or limitations to using group theory in general relativity and quantum gravity?

One challenge of using group theory in these areas is that it can be difficult to apply traditional methods of group theory to the highly complex and nonlinear equations of general relativity and quantum gravity. Additionally, there are ongoing debates about which group-theoretic principles are most relevant for understanding these theories, and how they should be applied.

5. How might group theory play a role in the search for a theory of quantum gravity?

Group theory is expected to play a central role in the development of a theory of quantum gravity, as it provides a natural framework for studying the symmetries and transformations of space-time and matter fields at the quantum level. Some researchers believe that a deeper understanding of group theory will be necessary for reconciling general relativity with quantum mechanics and developing a unified theory of all fundamental forces.