Where can I find a book on group theory in physics?

So you are in good company.In summary, the conversation is asking for a book or booklet on group theory in physics that is elementary, informative, and short. The book "Mathematics Methods for Physicists" by George Arfken is recommended, but the person also suggests using Wikipedia for basic information and mentions the use of Lie groups in physics. They also mention the importance of being well-versed in mathematics as a theoretical physicist.
hokhani
please prefer me a book or booklet or ...that at least includes one section or more about the subject of group theory in physics as i can understand the elements considered in this book about group theory:
"Mathematics method for physisists by George Arfken"
I'd like it was elementary and informative and also short.

Physics news on Phys.org
hokhani said:
please prefer me a book or booklet or ...that at least includes one section or more about the subject of group theory in physics as i can understand the elements considered in this book about group theory:
"Mathematics method for physisists by George Arfken"
I'd like it was elementary and informative and also short.

If you are just interested in enough group theory to get by I would just use Wikipedia as needed.

Generally physics uses Lie groups - e.g. in Gauge theories. A book on Lie groups for Physicists might help you.

On the other hand, the trend among theoretical physicists today is to be crack mathematicians.

What is group theory in physics?

Group theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the symmetry and structure of objects and systems. In physics, it is used to describe the laws of nature and the behavior of physical systems by studying the transformations that leave these laws unchanged.

What is the importance of group theory in physics?

Group theory is essential in physics because it provides a powerful framework for understanding the underlying symmetries and patterns in physical systems. It allows for the classification and prediction of physical phenomena, as well as the development of new theories and models.

What are some examples of group theory in physics?

Group theory is used in various areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics, particle physics, and solid state physics. Some examples include the rotation and translation symmetries of molecules, the symmetries of atomic orbitals, and the symmetries of fundamental particles.

How is group theory applied in physics?

In physics, group theory is applied through the use of mathematical tools such as group representations, character tables, and group generators. These tools are used to analyze the symmetries of physical systems and to make predictions about their behavior.

What are the challenges of using group theory in physics?

One of the challenges of using group theory in physics is the complexity of the mathematical concepts involved. It can also be challenging to find the appropriate group to describe a particular physical system, as well as to apply group theory to systems with continuous symmetries. Additionally, the limitations of current mathematical techniques may make it difficult to fully understand the symmetries of some physical systems.