1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group theory literature

1. Jun 11, 2009 #1
    Hi all! I want to learn the Weinberg-Salam theory of weak and el.mag. interactions and for that a good knowledge of group theory is required. Can someone advise a good book from internet about Group Theory? Any help will be appreciated.

P.S. this is my first post on this site, I hope I put the question in the right place

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2009 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to Physics Forums!

What is your background in math and physics?

4. Jun 11, 2009 #3
    From september I'm starting MA course in theoretical physics. So I have 4 years university education in physics.

5. Jun 11, 2009 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm sorry, I don't know any downloadable books.

For group theory for physicists, "Groups, Representations, and Physics" by H. F. Jones is okay.

For self-study of introductory quantum field theory, up to and including the Weinberg-Salam model, the two volume set (make sure it's the third edition)

Gauge Theories in Particle Physics Volume I: From Relativistic Quantum Mechanics to QED

Gauge Theories in Particle Physics Volume II: QCD and the Electroweak Theory

by I. J. R Aitchison and A. J. R. Hey is superb and presents the required group theory when needed.

6. Jun 11, 2009 #5
    thanks man, just checked those books, seems like they are really great!

7. Jun 12, 2009 #6

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I know many 'books', but I have the links at my home computer, I am at my office now..

I will post them here when I come home :-)

They are mainly called "Lie Groups for the Standard Model" etc, I have plenty of those.

Also send me a personal message here with your email and I will send you all possible pdf's I have at home.

cheers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook