Is there a misprint in this group theory exercise?

In summary, this problem appears to be a simple mistake, but there is a more general theorem that says that only those numbers coprime to n will have a multiplicative inverse modulo n.
pdelong
I'm currently making my way through "Groups and Symmetry", by M. A. Armstrong [ISBN 0387966757], and I'm stuck on what seems like it should be a very simple exercise. Page 14, problem 3.8, states:

Show that if a subset of {1, 2, ..., 21} contains an even number, or contains the number 11, then it cannot form a group under multiplication modulo 22.

However, I can't make this work unless I change the "or" to an "and". So, is this a misprint, or am I missing something blindingly obvious?

Later,
Paul.

Physics news on Phys.org
edit: never mind, maybe you're right. Anyway, there's a theorem that says the only cyclic multiplicative groups are the ones with prime order, which solves this problem. I think it's "and" because you need to have an even multiple of 11 to get 0 (mod22), which has no inverse and also isn't even in the group.

Last edited:
Well... Suppose that A is a subset of {1, 2, ..., 21} that contains at least one even number, and suppose that A forms a group (where the operation is multiplication modulo 22). Let 2k [tex]\in[/tex] A. 2k has to have an inverse, i.e a number x [tex]\in[/tex] A such that 2k * x = 1 (mod 22). But this is equivalent to saying that there exists a number y [tex]\in \mathbb{N}[/tex] such that 2kx - 1 = 22y. We see that 2 divides the right-hand side of the equation, but not the LHS, so we can never have equality (in the integers). Contradiction.

You can easily extend this argument to cover 11 as well.

This is basically a small special case of a more general theorem that says that only those numbers coprime to n, will have a multiplicative inverse modulo n (hope I phrased that correctly).

Last edited:
edit: I thought about this problem again last night & forgot the stuff about the totient function. argh :rolleyes:

Muzza said:
Well... Suppose that A is a subset of {1, 2, ..., 21} that contains at least one even number, and suppose that A forms a group (where the operation is multiplication modulo 22). Let 2k [tex]\in[/tex] A. 2k has to have an inverse, i.e a number x [tex]\in[/tex] A such that 2k * x = 1 (mod 22). But this is equivalent to saying that there exists a number y [tex]\in \mathbb{N}[/tex] such that 2kx - 1 = 22y. We see that 2 divides the right-hand side of the equation, but not the LHS, so we can never have equality (in the integers). Contradiction.

You can easily extend this argument to cover 11 as well.

This is basically a small special case of a more general theorem that says that only those numbers coprime to n, will have a multiplicative inverse modulo n (hope I phrased that correctly).
But does 1 have to be the identity? For the numbers x = 1, 11, and 12, we have x*x = x(mod22). We might be able to form a very small group with some number other than 1 as its identity. I'm sure there's a reason why that's wrong though.

Damn, that's true. I simply figured that "1 is the identity" went without saying, but I guess it doesn't.

If as you say 12 satisfies 12*12=12 mod(22) then {12,*} is a group under multiplication. i think we are supposed to assume that 1 is the identity.

fourier jr said:
Anyway, there's a theorem that says the only cyclic multiplicative groups are the ones with prime order

no there isn't, in fact there isn't one even remotely like it. there's a cyclic group of every order. the simple ones have prime order.

matt grime said:
no there isn't, in fact there isn't one even remotely like it. there's a cyclic group of every order. the simple ones have prime order.
lol maybe i should look these things up before posting. i was pretty sure i would make an ass of myself by responding in any way. maybe i was thinking of something to do with finite fields or something.

There is a finite field of order q iff q is a prime power.

Also, abelian groups of prime order are necessarily cyclic.

AKG said:
But does 1 have to be the identity? For the numbers x = 1, 11, and 12, we have x*x = x(mod22).

But that isn't sufficient to make x an identity (is it?). Unless you're dealing with the degnerate case of a group consisting of one element.

There's nothing degenerate about a group with one element.

pdelong said:
But that isn't sufficient to make x an identity (is it?). Unless you're dealing with the degnerate case of a group consisting of one element.
No it's not sufficient. I didn't check that 11 and 12 worked for any other numbers, but I was only provoking a proof that 1 must be the identity, otherwise the problem is rather simple. And I believe the set {1,11} works. 11 has two inverses, but I don't know if inverses have to be unique.

identities must be unique, inverses must be unique, you've demonstrated that the one element set {11} with mult mod 22 is the trivial group, as is {12}

in your example {1,11} there are two identities by your reasoning, that is not allowed, identities must be unique.

AKG said:
But does 1 have to be the identity? For the numbers x = 1, 11, and 12, we have x*x = x(mod22).

matt grime said:
identities must be unique, inverses must be unique, you've demonstrated that the one element set {11} with mult mod 22 is the trivial group, as is {12}

in your example {1,11} there are two identities by your reasoning, that is not allowed, identities must be unique.
I was looking for something like this. At Mathworld.com, I don't see it explicitly stating that inverses and identites have to be unique, but I would naturally assume they are. At wikipedia.com, there is an article on group(mathematics) where some "Simple Theorems" are listed, including:
  • A group has exactly one identity element.
  • Every element has exactly one inverse.
But no proof for these. This seems like somthing that would arise more from definition than deduction, but if not, can you provide a proof or a link that has a proof?

Double posts? A group with one element is still a group it is not degenerate and is perfectly admissible.

matt grime said:
Double posts? A group with one element is still a group it is not degenerate and is perfectly admissible.

Oh, whoops. I guess the network error didn't completely trash my first attempt.

I didn't think "degenerate" implied "inadmissible". In any case, I didn't mean to imply that a group of one element somehow isn't a group.

AKG's proof: Suppose e and f are identity elements in a group G, then e=ef since f is an identity, and f=ef since e is an identity hence e=f, now the proof for the uniqueness of inverses is left as an easy exercise, and an important one.

matt grime said:
AKG's proof: Suppose e and f are identity elements in a group G, then e=ef since f is an identity, and f=ef since e is an identity hence e=f, now the proof for the uniqueness of inverses is left as an easy exercise, and an important one.
For a, b, and c in G, let ab = I = ba, and ac = I = ca, prove b = c.
ab = I
c(ab) = c(I)
(ca)b = c
(I)b = c
b = c, QED.

Let a = 11, b = 11, I = 11, c = 1. By the same argument, I can prove 1 = 11. What does this mean? I suppose by contradiction it shows some combination of the following:
  • 11 is not the identity
  • 1 is not an element of the group
  • 11 is not an element of the group

It means that the set {1,11} with multiplication mod 22 is not a group that is all. However the set {11} with multiplication mod 22 is a group, it is canonically isomorphic to the group {1} with multiplication mod 22 (canonical means that there is an isomorphism and that isomorphism is unique).

From reading the question and thinking about my initial reaction to it, then we were supposed to assume that 1 is supposed to be the identity element and show by Muzza's reasoning that we didn't have a group. However that isn't the only way of reading the question.

maybe what Fourier jr was referring to was the theorem expressing the structure of the multiplicative group of units in the ring of integers mod n, since that is the example given here.

I.e. in Z mod n, the group of units is cyclic if n is prime, but also if n is a power of an odd prime, and also if n = 2 or 4.

again the problem here is merely to describe the elements of that multiplicative group of units, not its structure.

perhaps the problem should have been stated as finding subgroups of the multiplicative group oif units, since that would specify the identity for multiplication.

1. What is group theory and how is it related to mathematics?

Group theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and structures of groups, which are mathematical objects that represent symmetries, transformations, and operations. It is used in various fields such as algebra, geometry, and physics to understand and analyze complex systems.

2. What is a misprint in group theory?

A misprint in group theory refers to an error or mistake in a mathematical expression or statement that involves groups. This could be a typo, incorrect notation, or a misunderstanding of a fundamental concept. Misprints can lead to incorrect solutions and interpretations, so it is important to identify and correct them.

3. How do misprints affect the results in group theory?

Misprints can have a significant impact on the results in group theory as they can lead to incorrect conclusions and solutions. They can also cause confusion and make it difficult to understand and apply group theory concepts. Therefore, it is crucial to carefully check for and correct any misprints in mathematical expressions and statements.

4. How can one avoid misprints in group theory?

To avoid misprints in group theory, it is important to carefully check all mathematical expressions and statements for accuracy and consistency. Double-checking calculations and using different methods to verify results can also help in identifying and correcting any potential misprints. Additionally, learning and understanding the fundamental concepts of group theory can help in avoiding common errors and misprints.

5. Are there any resources available to help identify and correct misprints in group theory?

Yes, there are various resources available to help identify and correct misprints in group theory. These include textbooks, online forums and communities, and mathematical software that can assist in verifying calculations and solutions. It is also helpful to consult with other experts in the field to catch any potential misprints that may have been overlooked.