1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group theory problem

1. Jan 25, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] group theory problem

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find all solutions of the equation x^3-2x^2-3x=0 in Z_12.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    We first factor the polynomial into x(x-3)(x+1)=0. Recall that Z_12 is not an integral domain since 12 is not prime (e.g. 3*4=0). Therefore setting each factor equal to 0 WILL NOT GIVE ALL OF THE SOLUTIONS.

Obviously, the solutions to x=0, (x-3)=0, (x+1)=0, x(x-3)=0, x(x+1) = 0, (x-3)(x+1)=0 will also be solutions to our equation. I can find all of those. The problem is that I do not know how to find the remaining ones.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2008 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You could narrow things down by factoring 12 into prime powers, and using the chinese remainder theorem.

You can narrow things down even further in Z/4Z by first considering it in Z/2Z.

Or... you could apply the fact that each solutions will make at least one of the factors a zero divisor..

But honestly, 12 is so small that I'd expect simply trying all 12 possibilities is the most efficient way to find the roots.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  4. Jan 25, 2008 #3
    What are the twelve possibilities?

5. Jan 25, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

x=0,1,2...11. What else??

6. Jan 25, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

From what you said before, it would appear that you know what Z12 is! The" 12 possibilities" Hurkyl mentioned are the 12 elements of that ring.

7. Jan 25, 2008 #6
    Grrrr. Someday I will stop making mistakes like this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?