1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group theory problem

1. May 25, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] group theory problem

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A cyclic group of order 15 has an element x such that the set {x^3,x^5,x^9} has exactly two elements. The number of elements in the set {x^{13n} : n is a positive integer} is

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    From the given information, we know that x^6 = 1 or x^4 = 1. In the first case, either answer is possible. In the second case, only answer a is possible. Anyway, do we know enough to decide which case this is or is there a different way to do the problem?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

True. But why stop there? (I'm assuming that you have a valid justification for this assertion)

I can't guess at your reasoning for either conclusion; would you show your work?
  4. May 25, 2008 #3
    if x^4 = 1, you can conclude what x is on what you know about the size of the group. the answer then follows.
  5. May 25, 2008 #4
    Oh. I see. By Lagrange's Theorem, x^4=1 implies x=1 which implies there is exactly one element in the set. x^6 implies x^3=3 again by Lagrange and the fact that there is more than one element in the set. The answer a) is immediate since gcd(13,3)=1. Thanks.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?