Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Group theory problem

1. May 25, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] group theory problem

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A cyclic group of order 15 has an element x such that the set {x^3,x^5,x^9} has exactly two elements. The number of elements in the set {x^{13n} : n is a positive integer} is

a)3
    b)5

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    From the given information, we know that x^6 = 1 or x^4 = 1. In the first case, either answer is possible. In the second case, only answer a is possible. Anyway, do we know enough to decide which case this is or is there a different way to do the problem?

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2008 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

True. But why stop there? (I'm assuming that you have a valid justification for this assertion)

I can't guess at your reasoning for either conclusion; would you show your work?

4. May 25, 2008 #3
    if x^4 = 1, you can conclude what x is on what you know about the size of the group. the answer then follows.

5. May 25, 2008 #4
    Oh. I see. By Lagrange's Theorem, x^4=1 implies x=1 which implies there is exactly one element in the set. x^6 implies x^3=3 again by Lagrange and the fact that there is more than one element in the set. The answer a) is immediate since gcd(13,3)=1. Thanks.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook