Group theory proofs

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
It's always annoying when one finds in books (written by (theoretical) physicists for (theoretical) physics students) statements like those below without a mere cross-reference for a mathematically-rigurous proof. And that's what i'm searching for right now: either point me to some books, or post the proofs right here (that would be perfect). So here's what's been bugging me lately:

1. A noncompact Lie group has no nontrivial finite dimensional unitary linear irreps.
2. The linear representations of a simply connected Lie group are fully reducible.
3. The unitary linear irreps of a simply connected Lie group can be put in bijective correspondence with (essentially) selfadjoint irreps of the corresponding Lie algebra.
4. The Theorem of Nelson. The only reference for a proof that i found is the original article by Nelson, but, unfortunately, it's not within my reach.

The relevance of this thread: these mathematical results are fundamental in understanding the concept of implementing space-time symmetries in the Hilbert space language of QM through the so-called "Wigner-Weyl method".

Daniel.

Answers and Replies

matt grime
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The underlying idea is the following:

any lie group homomorphism is determined uniquely by the induced lie algebra map.

See Fulton and Harris, Representation Theory (A First Course) Springer GTM 129 (1991) Lecture 8 onwards.

I don't know that it'll answer all your questions, but it seems like it'll be a start in the right direction. It is quite a cheap and readily available book. You library should have a copy.