Order of Group G Generated by a,b Relation

In summary, the question is asking for the order of a group G generated by elements a and b, subject to the relations a^7 = 1, b^3 = 1, and ba = a^rb. The order refers to the number of elements in the group. To find all the elements, one could write them down using the given information. Additionally, a^7 = 1 means that a multiplied by itself 7 times equals the identity element. This can be used to simplify calculations, such as a^8 = a^7 * a = 1 * a. By using the relation ba = a^rb to reorder products, one can find all the elements of the group.
ElDavidas
The question reads :

"What is the order of a group G generated by elements a and b subject only to the relations

[tex] a^7 = 1 [/tex] , [tex] b^3 = 1 [/tex] , [tex] ba = a^rb [/tex]"

I know that the order is the number of elements in the group.

I'm having a lot of trouble answering a lot of these questions.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you could always write down all of the elements of the group.

Hurkyl said:
Well, you could always write down all of the elements of the group.

How do you go about doing that using the information given? I don't know where to begin.

Also, does [itex] a^7 = 1 [/itex] mean a to the 7 is equal to the identity element?

Well, there's a, and aa, and aaa, and ab, and ba, and aba, and bab, and abbaabbab, and...

Yes, the relation a^7 = 1 means that aaaaaaa is the identity.

I think I see where this is going.

Does [itex]a^8 = a^7 * a = 1 * a[/itex] make sense?

ElDavidas said:
I think I see where this is going.

Does [itex]a^8 = a^7 * a = 1 * a[/itex] make sense?

Yup. And use the ba relation to reorder your products so that they all read "aaaa...bb..."

-Dan

What is the "Order of Group G Generated by a,b Relation"?

The "Order of Group G Generated by a,b Relation" refers to the number of elements in the group that can be generated by the elements a and b, based on a given relation. This order is also known as the cardinality or size of the group.

How is the "Order of Group G Generated by a,b Relation" calculated?

The order of a group generated by a,b relation can be calculated by considering all possible combinations of the elements a and b, according to the given relation. This includes repeating the elements and their inverses until all possible combinations have been exhausted. The resulting number is the order of the group.

What is the significance of the "Order of Group G Generated by a,b Relation"?

The order of a group generated by a,b relation is an important property of the group as it helps to determine the complexity and structure of the group. It also provides information about the number of subgroups and cosets that can be formed, as well as the group's cyclicality.

Can the "Order of Group G Generated by a,b Relation" change?

Yes, the order of a group generated by a,b relation can change depending on the given relation. If the elements a and b are changed, or if the relation itself is altered, the resulting order of the group will also change.

How is the "Order of Group G Generated by a,b Relation" related to other group properties?

The order of a group generated by a,b relation is related to many other group properties, such as the group's subgroup structure, normality, and isomorphism. It also plays a role in the Lagrange's theorem, which states that the order of a subgroup must divide the order of the original group.