1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group theory question

1. Nov 29, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If G is a group, is it true that right multiplication by a given element is a homomorphism but left multiplication is not? That does not really make sense to me because aren't right and left multiplication "symmetric"?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2007 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In general neither is a homomorphism.

4. Nov 29, 2007 #3

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Note to be a homomorphism, it needs to map the identity to the identity. Only a select few elements can multiply with the identity and give the identity back

5. Nov 29, 2007 #4
    I think I asked the wrong question.
    Let G = {g_1, ..., g_n} be a group. Let X be a graph with vertices {g_1, ..., g_n}. Let [tex] \alpha_{g}[/tex] be the permutation of the vertices defined by [tex] \alpha_{g}(g_i) = g_i*g [/tex]

Given a bijection between the elements of G and the elements of the group of \alpha_g, I want to show that the group of \alpha_{g} and G are isomorphic.

So, let [tex] h(g_i) = \alpha_{g_i} [/tex].

h is not a homomorphism, correct?

6. Nov 30, 2007 #5
    does anyone understand this question?

7. Nov 30, 2007 #6

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The group of alpha_g? I assume you mean the subgroup of [tex]S_G[/tex] obtained from the map h you defined lastly?

If so, then that's just Cayley's theorem.

In Cayley's theorem, we show that every group G is isomorphic to a subgroup of [tex]S_G[/tex] (the group of permutation of G.)

To do this, we show that the map [tex]h:G\rightarrow S_G[/tex] defined as you did is a monomorphism. Then the restriction of its codomain to h(G) is an isomorphism.

8. Nov 30, 2007 #7
    The group I speak of is [tex]\{\alpha_{g} : g \in G\}[/tex] under composition of functions.

I didn't realize that but you're right. So my question really is then, to prove Cayley's Theorem can you define [tex] \alpha_{g}(g_i) = g_i*g [/tex] or do you need to define
    [tex] \alpha_{g}(g_i) = g*g_i [/tex]?

I think that we need the latter, but I'm afraid I am making a stupid mistake.

9. Nov 30, 2007 #8

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

IT works either way. As you said, it's "symetric"

1° For all g, [tex] \alpha_{g}(g_i) = g_i*g [/tex] defines a permutation of G, because 1) if g1*g=g2*g, then discover that g1=g2 by multiplying by g^-1 from the right. That's injectivity. 2) let g' be in G, then [tex]g_i=g'*g^{-1}[/tex] is sent to g' by [tex] \alpha_{g}[/tex]. That's surjectivity.

2° Show h is an homomorphism. That's routine.

3° Let g be in Ker(h). Then [tex]\alpha_{g}=id_G[/tex]. So for any g' in G, g'*g=g'. This can only be so if g=1. Hence the kernel is trivial, hence h is a monomorphism.

10. Nov 30, 2007 #9

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Funny!

2° [tex]h(g*g')(g_i)=\alpha_{g*g'}(g_i)=g_i*(g*g')=(g_i*g)*g'=\alpha_{g'}(g_i*g)=\alpha_{g'}(\alpha_{g}(g_i))=(\alpha_{g'}\circ \alpha_{g})(g_i)=[h(g')\circ h(g)](g_i)[/tex]

so it seems you were right in worrying! It's not a morphism if we multiply from the right!

11. Nov 30, 2007 #10
    I claim that h is not a homomorphism in this case:

[tex] \alpha_{g_1*g_2}(g_i) = g_i*g_1*g_2 [/tex]
    but
    [tex] \alpha_{g_1}\circ \alpha_{g_2}(g_i) = \alpha_{g_1}(\alpha_{g_2}(g_i)) = g_i*g_2*g_1[/tex]

EDIT: you beat me

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  12. Nov 30, 2007 #11

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It works if we define [tex]\alpha_g[/tex] to act on gi by multiplication from the right by the inverse of g instead:

[tex]\alpha_g(g_i)=g_ig^{-1}[/tex].

Because now

[tex]\alpha_{g*g'}(g_i)=g_i(g*g')^{-1}=g_ig'^{-1}g^{-1}=(\alpha_{g}\circ\alpha_{g'})(g_i)[/tex].

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  13. Nov 30, 2007 #12

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, morphism and homomorphism are interchangeable terms.

14. Nov 30, 2007 #13
    I just realized that and deleted the post. But thanks. Everything is clear now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?